Talk

Advanced search

what should I make for dinner tonight that 6m old can have too

(14 Posts)
jessica3692 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:37:34

I'm nervous about giving my daughter something that we will eat for dinner so I want to start of with something simple.

For the past week she has been having banana and rice for brekkie and then lunch and dinner has been an experiment of different purees.. I can already tell she's into sweet stuff only right now! If your little ones prefer the sweeter stuff what have you given them for tea? And should I puree it completely!

This weaning malarkey makes me nervous!

MarchLikeAnAnt Thu 23-Jul-15 12:41:05

Just give her a bit of whatever you are having. If you continue to feed her only sweet stuff then that's all that she will desire.

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 23-Jul-15 12:41:05

What would you normally have?

So long as its not ready meals or take away (too salty) it will really be fine.

My 3 always liked stuff I never thought they would touch, it's good to offer a wide range of different tastes and textures. Never puree'd anything.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 23-Jul-15 12:41:35

We tended to eat dinner after ours went to bed buy kept a small portion for them for the next day. Best was a roast dinner, so Id keep a brocoli floret, a strip of chicken, and a yorkshire pud for them to gum on at lunchtime.

thatsshallot Thu 23-Jul-15 12:46:01

macaroni/cauliflower and broccoli cheese? stir fried meat, veg and noodles?

wouldn't bother pureeing, that's why high chairs have trays grin

missorinoco Thu 23-Jul-15 12:46:51

Broccoli is easy to gum, mash will go down a treat. mine loved sweet potato. They surprise you. Agree add non sweet tastes in now, they will all taste unusual at first so now is your time to get her eating what you love.

TheTravellingLemon Thu 23-Jul-15 12:48:30

DS loved spinach at that age smile

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 23-Jul-15 12:51:36

Are you wanting to move onto finger foods or stick with purees? If you want ideas for finger foods there are some great recipes here.

MiaowTheCat Thu 23-Jul-15 12:54:19

Mine were both particularly fond of chilli and curry - but my kids are a bit odd like that. I half-arsedly blended a bit what we had.

ch1134 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:54:50

Scrambled egg, roasted sweet potato, beetroot mixed with Philadelphia or baby rice....

KatyN Thu 23-Jul-15 13:05:40

cottage pie/shepherd pie/fish pie
If she's into sweet maybe pop a sweet potato in the mash or some bnq in the meat?

You could try spag bol or other pasta dishes. The pasta is a bit random if you blitz it, but you can always buy baby pasta shapes and just give her some of your sauce.

eating together is LOVELY (although I do find I'm ravenous by the time I go to bed).

MrsAukerman Thu 23-Jul-15 13:09:54

Just cook as normal but without salt and try to keep things in a finger shape. Ds has surprised me with what he likes. Current favourites are asparagus, fried batons of aubergine or courgette, mature Cheddar either grated or sticks and sweet potato.

MrsAukerman Thu 23-Jul-15 13:11:01

Www.mumsnet.com/talk/weaning

ohidoliketobe Thu 23-Jul-15 13:22:21

If going for finger foods my DS has enjoyed homemade pizza, chicken / fish and veg, fusili pasta in a little sauce.
If you want to go down the spoon feeding route he enjoys curries, chilli con carne, mash, cottage / shephards pie.
Just mind your salt use, but it's lots easier to give them the same/ a variation of what you're having
Like PP, we tend to eat later than DS so save him leftovers for the next day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now