Talk

Advanced search

How do i teach bum wiping?

(8 Posts)
Marioswife Thu 23-Jul-15 11:58:08

My son has asked to wipe his own bum over the last few days, so I'm going to take the plunge and try to teach him.

I don't know where to start, Does anyone have advice, his attempt to do it himself has left poo up his back.

mumofboyo Thu 23-Jul-15 12:48:27

I don't really know if I did it 'right' but when I showed ds, who is 4 and still needs help, I wiped it for him and told him that he needs to wipe where I was wiping and asked if he could feel where I meant. Then I let him have a go. Now I get him to do it first, telling him to make sure he gets right up to his bumhole, and then I check. We use those wet wipes because he was blocking the toilet with 50,000 sheets of loo roll!

Tinkerisdead Thu 23-Jul-15 12:52:49

Im a nursery worker and im currently trying to get my 3.5year old dd to try. I get them to get small amounts of tissue because they cant master folding/scrunching it up. Wipe "into your bumhole" and get a small amount of tissue and try again until its clean. It's easier for them to get off the toilet too. I know that sounds obvious but kids witness us doing it sitting down, they often get wiped sitting down on the loo still. Get them to get off and lean forward, small strips of paper and they dont block the loo.

rumbelina Thu 23-Jul-15 13:28:44

Argh I'm just about to enter into this territory as DS is going to school in september. Thing is it takes so much paper for ME to clean his bum as he is a messy pooer. I have no idea how that much poo comes out of something so small (see also: kittens) and so frequently. I have visions of leaving him to it and there being poo all over the toilet, toilet wall, DS, DS's clothes, the floor etc.

I'll watch this thread and psych myself up for a bit...

SleepShake Thu 23-Jul-15 13:30:42

I would teach with wet wipes. I can't understand how anyone can clean their bottom properly with normal toilet roll.

LemonYellowSun Thu 23-Jul-15 16:42:16

My youngest is the same rumbelina. Very messy poo, always has had, so it take us ages to clean him up, so he doesnt have much of a chance really. The only times he has tried, he gets it everywhere!!

Two months to get this sorted wink Flushable wipes at the ready!!

RiverTam Thu 23-Jul-15 16:43:47

DD is 5.5 and still doesn't have this mastered. She never poos at school so it's not really been a problem. Her arms just don't seem to reach!

Marioswife Thu 23-Jul-15 17:39:46

Thank you all, my son is a couple of years older than some of your children but all your advice should still work. as river says not a problem because he hadn't pooed at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now