Talk

Advanced search

SMA to Aptimil?

(7 Posts)
Moominy12 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:19:34

My little girl is three weeks old tomorrow and since birth she has been on SMA milk she's struggled to bring up her wind ever since and is very constipated. I've tried Gaviscon prescribed by the doctor and currently using Dentinox, she was bringing up wind fine but the constipation was terrible so the health visitor recommended SMA comfort milk. I have been trying this for the last 24 hours and it has made her wind worse again, not helped constipation and she's been very cranky.

After googling SMA reviews a lot of people have slated it saying it causes constipation. I really want to change to Aptimil milk to see how she goes but how health visitor seems to be against this.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do or has anyone change from SMA to aptimil and seen an improvement?

Teeste Thu 23-Jul-15 10:55:30

My 5 week old DS has been on Aptamil since birth, but we made the change to Aptamil Comfort due to wind/digestive issues. Along with Dentinox and the occasional shot of gripe water, it's made a real difference and he's certainly not constipated! My HV said formulas are all much of a muchness, so I can't see there being any big deal with you switching brands if you want to. Just don't tell your HV ;) Hope it works out for you - newborn digestion can be total hell, I know!

worldsworstmum2015 Thu 23-Jul-15 11:04:19

Yep do what you want and don't tell the hv trust your own instincts they will generally be right

hedwig2001 Thu 23-Jul-15 11:07:14

While it is only personal experience, I have found SMA to not be well tolerated. Aptamil seems to be a much better option. Sods law, as it is more expensive!

Vanillaradio Thu 23-Jul-15 20:22:02

We changed from sma to aptamil at about 8 weeks, ds was mixed fed up to 6 weeks and ff from then on. Once just on sma Ds had trapped wind and nasty green poo. Aptamil was much much better, saw an improvement straight away. I would try it.

Lg74 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:29:09

Try Cow and Gate, it's the same as Aptamil and cheaper. They're both made in the same factory and ingredients the same, just marketed differently. I was told this by someone that worked for them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 09:05:14

Agree with lg, I'd give the cow and gate a try too.

Have you thought of Hipp Organic? Both of my DNs had this with Dentinox in the bottle and were fine on it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now