Talk

Advanced search

Cutting nails..

(15 Posts)
YesNoMaybeSo1234 Tue 21-Jul-15 22:36:47

How can I cut my 2yo DDs toenails?!! I've always done it while she's been asleep but lately as soon as I touch her foot she moves it and there's no way I can get near her nails! She ends up waking up if I keep trying. There is no problem doing her fingernails while she's asleep.

Any suggestions?!

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 21-Jul-15 22:40:08

Umm... Tell her to sit still and do it??

Seriously, I used to clip one of mine first to show it didn't hurt. Also we made a big deal of the clipping sound and laughed each time and hunted for where the clippings had gone.

LindsayS79 Tue 21-Jul-15 23:01:31

Watching for tips here...! My dd is the same. Unfortunately I have to pin her down after trying so hard to divert her attention and make it fun etc. I'm hoping one day she'll realise it's not so bad!!

Craftynonymous1 Tue 21-Jul-15 23:06:37

I sit mine on the floor between my legs. Their body against mine so their feet are facing the same way mine would be. Favourite programme on TV and just go for it. She fights a bit but is getting better each time and it's soon over. Fingers done same way but different day. After bath is best as they are softer.

hufflebottom Wed 22-Jul-15 00:03:29

Tape her feet to the bed? smile

I've turned nail cutting night into a pamper night, where we both soak, moisturise then cut toes. Have no idea how it started but it's great fun.

BlueThursday Wed 22-Jul-15 16:19:03

How about filing, would that be easier?

poocatcherchampion Wed 22-Jul-15 16:20:43

Be bold; go in and do it.

You are in charge

poocatcherchampion Wed 22-Jul-15 16:21:42

Oh I normally do them in priority order so if she has had enough I can stop early.

We also count to five each limb which she joins in with

LostMySocks Wed 22-Jul-15 21:32:49

DS (21 months) has ticklish feet. Hates toe nail cutting. It used to be a two man job. However just had a breakthrough. Persuaded him to put foot flat on floor and cut one nail at a time with sharp scissors. Works for him as he is naturally quite a 'still' child. Also hates long nails. He comes and asks me to do his finger nails

glowfrog Wed 22-Jul-15 22:57:11

Bribery.

One tiny 10p packet of Haribos is what it takes with my DD.

RockCrushesLizard Wed 22-Jul-15 23:11:20

TV. Put it on, and threaten to switch it off if she doesn't sit still until her nails are cut. smile

Fizrim Wed 22-Jul-15 23:13:58

I would recommend filing too - bit tickly but better than trying to cope with flailing limbs and sharp scissors! Or nail clippers rather than scissors.

TV. Bribery is the way forward.

Janethegirl Wed 22-Jul-15 23:16:14

I used to have scissors with rounded ends to cut my dcs nails, so no risk of me 'stabbing' them with the pointed bit.

Angelto5 Wed 22-Jul-15 23:18:19

Also recommend cutting them after a bath as the nails are softer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now