Talk

Advanced search

Abrupt end to breastfeeding ?

(4 Posts)
LemonadeLady Tue 21-Jul-15 08:55:04

My dd is 18 months and was still an enthusiastic breastfeeder - 4/5 times every 24 hours - until Monday.
She was flapping around in the night which I put down to teething but then wouldn't latch on yesterday- just laughed at or hit my boobs (!).
Needeless to say I am very engorged and uncomfy - don't know whether to express as if she has stopped I may as well too.
I know it's not a problem at this age but it seems strange as it's so abrupt.
Any ideas?
Thanks

TipTapWentTheCrab Tue 21-Jul-15 16:18:44

I would definitely express if I were you for your own sake, as engorgement is very uncomfortable and may lead to mastitis (very nasty). In the event that she never bf's again, expressing will reduce your supply gradually.

However, I'd be extremely surprised if she stopped so abruptly - more likely she's just having some time off and will then carry on as before. This might be because of something medical, or just toddler whims (mine did both of those once each around that age).

TipTapWentTheCrab Tue 21-Jul-15 16:24:14

By the way, there's a Mumsnet forum for breastfeeding discussions at www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding. You might get more responses there.

LemonadeLady Tue 21-Jul-15 19:31:27

Thanks TipTap - just heading over there nowstar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now