Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop my toddler from pinching and biting me?

(3 Posts)
Sansarya Mon 20-Jul-15 12:07:37

DS is 17 months but for the past few months constantly wants to pinch or bite me. I know he does it out of affection as he doesn’t try it with anyone except me and DP, but it’s getting unbelievably frustrating and it bloody hurts too! I say no in a firm voice and remove his hand (which he thinks is hilarious), or put him in his cot for a few minutes (where he usually screams) but neither approach is helping and I’m reaching my wits end sad Any ideas how I can get him to stop?

rosesanddaisies Mon 20-Jul-15 21:14:21

Keep going. Never let up with removing him from the situation etc - he'll get it eventually. My DS was the same about that age and we were REALLY strict with him - every time he tried, we would tell him it was not nice, turn him away from us and move to a different part of the room. He got it eventually. It'll take time, but don't give up x

Topseyt Mon 20-Jul-15 23:11:41

A good, sharp "NO!!" and being unceremoniously dumped in the cot worked for my three.

I also ignored any screaming once I had done that. They knew it would be the consequence. I would leave them for a good 10 minutes even if they were bellowing. When I went back in I would ask if they were now ready to behave nicely again now. I usually got a sobbing, grovelling yes, but on the odd occasion one of them tried to be defiant and say no, I just left them again and repeated the routine later, again and again until they said yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now