Talk

Advanced search

essential items for potty training (apart from potty of course!)

(59 Posts)
milkyman Sun 19-Jul-15 10:42:18

Are there any recommended toilet seats, potties that anyone can recommend before are start?

forago Sun 19-Jul-15 10:44:51

most important is psnts, and lots of them, old tracksuit bottoms easy to put on, wipes - all hmady near the loo and in a bag when you go out.

SpendSpendSpend Sun 19-Jul-15 10:47:02

Get a toilet seat with a slash guard

If you havent got the potty yet, i would try a chair potty as my dd found the normal pottys too low.

Buy some crocs. They are brilliant for accidents as you just wipe them over and they are dry within a minute.

Poll up and store any rugs etc especially ones with a high pile.

Sizzlesthedog Sun 19-Jul-15 10:47:41

Princess Polly potty book/Pirate Pete potty book.

33goingon64 Sun 19-Jul-15 10:47:57

We found the potette plus invaluable for the first 2-3 months. It folds up into a bag, you put a liner in and then throw liner away like a dog poo bag. We used ours on trains, in the Albert Hall and in the middle of a stately home garden!

Artandco Sun 19-Jul-15 10:48:22

No potty. They are disgusting! You need to dettol after each use and they get tipped over

Just get a babybjorn toilet seat. Expensive compared to most, but goes up at the front so no weeing over the top, and adjusts so fits tight on all toilets so stable.

Get a step. £1.99 one fine

Comfy pants. Trunk/ boxer style best as hold in accidental poo better! Get even for girl.

Artandco Sun 19-Jul-15 10:49:47

33 - can I ask, why not just use train toilet or Albert hall toilet? A child pissing on train in potty is disgusting for other passengers if you didn't take into the toilet.

milkandmarmite Sun 19-Jul-15 10:50:32

Step/stool to the loo.

Baby bjorn seat and potty (my DS had just skipped potty really and just uses the seat on 'big loo')

Jelly shoes or plastic sandals and accidents get all over normal
Ones!

Wipes, cheap pants.

Good luck!

Figster Sun 19-Jul-15 10:55:37

The most important thing is to leave it until they're ready ds was a month off 3 when we tried properly he was done in a day and didn't have an accident for months. We'd had a potty downstairs for a while in the run up to that.

MsJuniper Sun 19-Jul-15 11:02:08

I've found the opposite to a pp and initially got a 3-in-1 potty with a proper loo seat but DS prefers his smaller plastic cheapo one as I think the squatting position is more comfortable and it has Thomas the Tank on it

We just started yesterday as DS initiated things by asking to use the potty and only a tiny accident so far when he was tired at the end of the day.

I bought some lovely pants from JL with an all-over pattern but am going to get any future pants just with a pattern or mark on the front as he struggles to find the right way round to put them on.

Artandco Sun 19-Jul-15 11:10:27

Fig - I don't agree with that. It works for some I suppose. Neither of mine showed 'interest' but both trained between 15-18 months as we just started early. By the time ds1 was 3, ds2 was already 20 months so both children dry for months. I wouldn't have wanted changing them longer than needed, as as both used reusable nappies would have been years of extra washing

MorrisZapp Sun 19-Jul-15 11:21:33

We didn't bother with potty training. Just waited until DS was ready and went straight to toilet. Obviously that won't suit everybody but I could never be arsed with potty struggle.

milkyman Sun 19-Jul-15 12:05:04

thanks all. what is a slash guard??

milkyman Sun 19-Jul-15 12:06:50

in tempted just to go straight for the loo as potty seems too small for my tall ds.

milkyman Sun 19-Jul-15 12:08:27

ive heard a toilet seat with handles is good - anyone got one of these?

Artandco Sun 19-Jul-15 12:09:55

Nah, wouldn't get handles as pain to move out the way for an adult to use.

Get chocolate covered raisins or chocolate buttons as bribery also

AmandaTanen Sun 19-Jul-15 12:18:01

We didn't bother with a potty either, just a padded seat for the toilet, nursery used the same and we got a spare one to keep in the car for when we visited friends. I bought lots of pants in a size up, I found they were easier to get down in a hurry.

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 19-Jul-15 12:18:17

We got my DD a Fisher Price Potty it sings songs and actually looks like a toilet. It's a bit expensive, but we got it when it was only £20. It was really great when we were first trying to potty train her as she was really encouraged to go on the potty as she wanted to hear the special song. She was potty trained at around 2 and she's 3 and still likes to go on her special potty. However she is incredibly short and small.

Another great thing to get is the Potette. It's a travel potty that is wonderful. It has these little bags with an absorbent liner in them so they sit, do a wee/poo and then you just throw the whole bag away. Super easy to use. It's very comfortable for the child and extremely portable.

HSMMaCM Sun 19-Jul-15 12:19:48

Use the toilet if you can, but have a potty for emergencies when you are out. Spare/washable shoes. Don't forget spare socks. Trousers that are easy to pull up and down, so they can do as much as possible themselves. Towel for car seat.

SpendSpendSpend Sun 19-Jul-15 17:53:39

I meant splash guard not slash guard

forago Sun 19-Jul-15 19:35:08

We used a potette all over the place as well. Even now at 10 there's no way I'd let him sit down on a train toilet. That would be disgusting. You can do it discretely. dettol after each use of the potty? wee is sterile when it comes out and its not strong like adult wee. I just swilled ours with water each time and a bleach wipe at the end of the day.

Hardtoknow Sun 19-Jul-15 21:20:57

Dettol wipes (normal ones & floor ones)
Kitchen roll
Bribes/rewards
Patience!

My going out bag in the early days consisted of:
- an entire spare set of clothes
- spare pants, bottoms & socks
- extra spare pants
- kitchen roll
- Dettol wipes
- baby wipes
- nappy sacks
- a nappy
- a couple of carrier bags
- potty

All of which got used in the first week!

A month in & I just take:
- potette
- spare pants X2 & trousers
- baby wipes
- Dettol wipes
- carrier bag

DS refuses to use the plastic potty, the same one that DD love. He does like - and only uses - the padded potty seat with handles & we have not got another for the other bathroom. If someone else wants to use the loo, they just lift it up.

olivesnutsandcheese Sun 19-Jul-15 22:55:48

essential items for us were a jumbo pack of kitchen roll and chocolate coins

CatWithKittens Mon 20-Jul-15 09:53:46

The rally essential items are patience, resignation and no great expectations - Oh and wine

GoooRooo Mon 20-Jul-15 10:50:36

We used a Pourty, which has a splash guard (good if you have a boy!) and is easy to empty. Lots of changes the clothes the first fews days and then he got the hang of it. We now do a mix of the potty and the toilet and I'm planning to move to just toilet soon.

Our toilet is upstairs up very steep stairs and there's no way that he would've got up there in time to actually go for a wee so the potty was essential training for us. He can now manage the stairs much more easily and uses a step to get on and off the toilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now