Talk

Advanced search

Is 16 months hard?

(14 Posts)
Sportysportacus Sat 18-Jul-15 20:19:31

A few people, including my MIL, have told me that 16 months is a really hard age because they are quite frustrated by what they can and can't do but can't always express their feelings verbally so scream, shout and hit. Do others find this? I find I spend most of my time trying to interpret why she's angry or annoyed!

PigPlopper Sat 18-Jul-15 20:33:03

No hitting or screaming here, but DS went through a short phase of head-butting doors/walls. He did it fairly gently though. It did concern me, but the phase didn't last too long.

mrsmugoo Sat 18-Jul-15 20:44:58

I actually think my 16 month old is getting a little easier as his communication skills and his walking get better and better.
He can point and ask for what he wants now.

Madamnit Sat 18-Jul-15 20:46:48

My 16 month old is a ridiculous ball of fury confused

Littlef00t Sat 18-Jul-15 20:54:23

My 16 mo is getting good at demanding what she wants in a queenly 'uh', vague point, scream if misinterpreted kind of way. She'll take my hand and lead me to things, or sign for food/drink which is helpful.

She's keen on a flail on the floor at the drop of a hat (quite literally I imagine) but when she's happy she's adorable and her personality can be hilarious.

My main concern is the insidious way I'm not challenging her enough because I can't be bothered to deal with her tantrums. She's definitely ruling the roost more than I expected her to...

Singsongsung Sat 18-Jul-15 21:43:10

Baby sign is fantastic. Get your babies on it. They can communicate their needs by 16 months. No terrible 2s here.

Sportysportacus Sat 18-Jul-15 22:13:22

I love 'ridiculous ball of fury', madamnit!

Thanks all. We have lots of vague pointing and saying 'this' - the reaction definitely comes when I don't understand her or when I ask her to do something she doesn't want to. Baby sign is a very good idea as I meant to start that months ago. Is it still worth starting at this age?

I also feel I'm wrapped round her little finger and giving her too much of what she wants on bad screamy days!

Roseybee10 Sun 19-Jul-15 10:16:14

I found it hard but my dd's speech was quite good at that age so she was able to communicate quite well and I think that helped her frustration a bit.

Joneseygirl77 Sun 19-Jul-15 12:59:48

I've got a 15mo who can communicate well too but she is very strong willed and determined. I'm finding it very challenging at times as we also have mini tantrums at small things too. Mainly when something is taken off her or she doesn't get to do what she wants as it's dangerous.

Often made worse with tiredness or hunger too. Plus we occasionally have biting when she gets over excited and tired! It's blooming tough and just hoping it will get better when she can communicate more. I know a lot of it comes from frustration but sometimes I feel like I have no idea what to do!!

CaramellaDeVille Thu 23-Jul-15 14:30:29

We've just got through that stage and yes I did find it challenging!

qumquat Sat 25-Jul-15 20:42:01

I've found 13-18 months the easiest so far. She finds just exploring the flat and her toys endlessly fascinating and can entertain herself happily for hours.

TendonQueen Sat 25-Jul-15 20:46:30

I found it hard, even though DS was doing well with his speech. I think it's because by then they're mobile but cannot be reasoned with and will be off like a shot if they feel like it. Also, even the good talkers still can't often express what they ideally want to so you do get the frustrated ragey episodes. But like everything else, it passes.

Mrscog Sat 25-Jul-15 20:49:00

I found 16-26 months the hardest stage ever - not through frustration, just the endless chasing around and telling them no. Awful awful stage.

gatorgolf Sat 25-Jul-15 22:30:36

I found that stage hard (ds is now 5) but it was because ds was mobile but didn't yet have any sense so he'd just run off or run too fast and hit walls etc didn't get a seconds rest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now