Talk

Advanced search

Baby dry skin

(20 Posts)
MissTwister Sat 18-Jul-15 13:58:50

My newborn has developed dry skin on her tummy - looking online olive oil seems to be the preferred treatment but our hospital pack says not to use it! Does anyone have any advice as it looks like it's getting sore x

Daffodil1210 Sat 18-Jul-15 14:21:06

My DS had really bad dry skin on his forehead, arms, legs and tummy for the first few weeks. I was to not to use anything on it but it was just getting worse so I used Burts Bees Baby Bee Multipurpose Ointment on his dry bits and it really helped. Its quite expensive but lasts a long time. I've also heard that coconut oil is good for baby's skin.

Only thing I'd say is make sure you do a patch test on your LO for anything you use before slathering it all over in case of a reaction. Hope it clears up soon!

MissTwister Sat 18-Jul-15 16:59:07

Thanks Daffodil, it seems to be on her tummy and hands....poor thing!

Daffodil1210 Sun 19-Jul-15 03:30:23

Awww bless her. How old is she? If it's any reassurance my DS's cleared up after about the 3 or 4 week point I think (we're only at 8 weeks and already that time is a distant memory!!) and he now only has a tiny bit in his hairline, so hopefully your DD will be the same, fingers crossed. If it doesn't clear up or gets worse and seems to be bothering her it may be worth mentioning it to your HV or getting it checked out by a doctor.

mrstothemr Sun 19-Jul-15 14:50:42

Our ds had dry skin, was a few months old though, and after getting nowhere with the docs over several appointments (barrier creams that moisturised did naff all) we now use hope's relief intensive cream, Amazon sells it. The docs should be able to advise you, but in case they can't help you might want to remember that one. Works for us, and fast, but then there's probably lots of different conditions

LittleMiss77 Sun 19-Jul-15 16:29:54

Twister - thats strange as my DS is 4 days old with really dry skin on his hands and feet (5 days over due) and the midwives told me to use olive oil!

VulcanWoman Sun 19-Jul-15 16:40:21

Organic coconut oil.

monkey2014 Sun 19-Jul-15 17:53:32

we were told to use olive oil too, for his peely skin when just born and his cradle cap. hes now 14 weeks and cradle cap nearly gone, dry skin everywhere else gone too.Does the hospital info say why not?

MissTwister Sun 19-Jul-15 20:21:32

She's 2 weeks old tomorrow! I've just re looked and it just says don't use olive oil but we can use sunflower oil. Shall I give that a go?

It doesn't look like it's bothering her but it looks really sore to me....

MsMittens Sun 19-Jul-15 20:24:22

DD2 was born with very dry skin on her hands and feet and we used Neil's Yard baby balm. All organic mix of coconut and olive oil and very kind to new skin. Worked a treat and I now keep a jar for general use (also fab for your own feet/hands as it make them super soft).

PartyFops Sun 19-Jul-15 20:27:45

Yes use olive oil. I found my dd literally lost a layer of skin all over and then she was fine.

monkey2014 Sun 19-Jul-15 20:32:23

Sunflower oil is what we got given at baby massage, so should be fine! they said any veg oil could be used.

September60b Mon 20-Jul-15 10:07:20

Oilatum in the bath worked well for my dd although I didn't start using it until she was a couple of months old I think. I also use coconut oil to do a bit of baby massage and her skin is lovely and smooth now. I think it did get better itself over time too smile

returnofthehumanegg Mon 20-Jul-15 10:18:03

You preferably want an oil high in linoleic acid and low in oleic acid. Olive oil isn't the best in this regard as the oleic acid can be hard on newborn skin. Something like sunflower or grape seed would be better, though for a new baby I'd personally use mineral oil based stuff like Oilatum as there's no risk of developing an allergy to it (even though I use all natural stuff myself)

bettyboop1000 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:20:37

I was told by several health professionals to use olive oil. After every bath they were covered in it from head to toe and they were fine.

larnieperty89 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:25:19

My baby girl had such dry skin when she was born she was like a snake lol!! We used aqueous cream on recommendation from my other halfs family as its water based & not oil based apparently that's what you should avoid when they are tiny it worked after a few days

returnofthehumanegg Mon 20-Jul-15 10:27:42

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1044400/can-i-use-olive-oil-to-massage-my-baby

returnofthehumanegg Mon 20-Jul-15 10:29:26

www.babycentre.co.uk/x1044400/can-i-use-olive-oil-to-massage-my-baby

With link, hopefully

Eyre89 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:33:05

We were told to use olive oil but just made him really greasy and doesn't smell that nice. We have used almond oil as advised in baby massage and still do at 18 months. Obviously do a patch test first but it lasts ages and worked really well for us.

purplemunkey Mon 20-Jul-15 10:36:48

I used olive oil, I was advised to by HV I believe. I can't 100%remember, DD is 8m now which is an age in baby land! I certainly didn't make it up myself though (FTM) so I must have been given that advice by either MW or HV.

I also used coconut oil when she developed cradle cap. I bought it for a baby massage class but used it for dry patches too. Bought a tub in Waitrose specifically for babies - I've still got the same tub now, it's lasted ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now