Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Nappy rash- sudocrem isn't working

(20 Posts)
annatha Fri 17-Jul-15 19:07:21

DD is 8 months and has rarely suffered from a sore bum until recently. Before the most she'd have was a little bit of redness that I would coat with sudocrem and would disappear by the next nappy change. This past week or so I've noticed she's got two small sore patches on her bum. I've been coating them with a thick layer of sudocrem at each nappy change but they don't seem to be going away, and first thing in the morning after she's been in her nappy all night they seem to be getting worse. MIL said that when SIL was a baby she had a really sore bum while she was teething so I wondered if that had anything to do with it, although she's been showing signs of teething since she was 3 months old and we've no teeth yet.

Is there anything over the counter that would do a better job, or should I take her to the gp? I don't want to waste doctors time over nappy rash but if there's something that needs to be prescribed then fair enough.

worldsworstmum2015 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:09:50

Try drapolene

Buttercup27 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:10:03

Sudacrem made my ds nappy rash worse so I tried lots of others. The best I found was Johnsons nappy dash cream or asda own brand worked brilliantly too.

CharleyDavidson Fri 17-Jul-15 19:11:45

We battled with sore skin on my DD for a few days, doing everything they suggested. She went nappy-less for days but still screamed when she had a wee. The chemist suggested anti-fungal nappy cream and it cleared it up in a day.

Mulligrubs Fri 17-Jul-15 19:13:33

The yellow cream Metanium is fab, lots and lots of nappy free time (accidents will happen) and no wipes, just warm water and cotton balls sorted my DS out when he had bad nappy rash. He had never had it before, but had diarrhea which gave him the rash. Teething nappy rashes are like that, it's not nice.

WhatAHooHa Fri 17-Jul-15 19:13:36

Or pawpaw cream. Teething does make bums sore (sore gums = more saliva = more stomach acid = acid poo I guess), and she is the right age for teeth now. Bottom front tend to come through first, is her front gum pale looking, or harder to the touch?

tattychicken Fri 17-Jul-15 19:14:00

Bepanthem or metanium are good, but yes, sometimes you need something anti fungal from the GP when they get that red rawness.

kittyvet Fri 17-Jul-15 19:16:06

Metanium is amazing!

tinymeteor Fri 17-Jul-15 19:21:49

I use Bepanthen for regular changes, and Metanium when a rash starts. The yellow is a bit offputting and can stain clothes so I save it for best, but it's great stuff. Sudocrem is rubbish, too thick and doesn't help with nappy rash. I reckon it's just the one most of us have heard of because it's in the blooming Bounty pack, and you end up finding better alternatives later.

PotOfYoghurt Fri 17-Jul-15 19:22:07

You can get Daktacort from the pharmacy (or the steroid-free version) over the counter if Metanium doesn't help.

Marioswife Fri 17-Jul-15 19:35:25

Bepanthem!

poocatcherchampion Fri 17-Jul-15 19:37:03

Happy rash that lasts more than 3 days is almost always fungal.

Shnook Fri 17-Jul-15 19:38:20

Yes Metanium! But apply as it says on the tube - very, very thinly so you can still see the skin through the cream. The reason is, if you out the cream on too thick no air gets to the skin which means any bacteria will thrive. And yes, could well be teething. DD1 had diarrhoea for 10 days and a bum that looked like it had been blowtorched. HV and Dr were convinced it was teeth as she was otherwise fine. I thought they were being ridiculous but sure enough, out popped her first tooth.

spanky2 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:42:05

Ds1 had such bad nappy rash his bum would bleed. Metanium was the only thing that improved it. Although when he was a toddler I came upstairs to find him 'washing' his toy bus in a thick coating of it!

Frusso Fri 17-Jul-15 19:46:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annatha Fri 17-Jul-15 20:44:34

Brilliant, thanks everyone! I'll try metanium and some nappy free time tomorrow and if it's not changed over the weekend I'll get her to the docs to rule out a fungal infection/thrush.

LostMyBaubles Fri 17-Jul-15 20:46:40

Cavilon is the onlt thing that clears ds bum!
get it from chemist

Nolim Fri 17-Jul-15 20:49:18

Yes methanium and nappy free time. Good luck.

Wilberforce2 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:20:57

Canesten is amazing for stubborn nappy rash! My GP prescribed it for my DD and it went over night, I wouldn't use it all the time but for the really sore patches that won't go it's great.

Adarajames Sat 18-Jul-15 00:02:28

Calendula can work really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now