Talk

Advanced search

Formula Milk 2 hour rule

(10 Posts)
pastmyduedate0208 Fri 17-Jul-15 17:58:56

Hello...

How strictly do you follow the Throw-Away-After-2-Hours for formula milk rule?

I am weaning DS off the breast, and have moved him onto solids and sippy cup. Sometimes he only has half his sippy cup milk, and throwing the other half away seems wasteful...

The other thing about a sippy cup is that there is always about 50ml left that he can't get to because he doesn't like to drink with his head tilted back, so I always fill it to 150-200ml.

I have once or twice allowed him to drink from the same milk after 2 hours, while we are out and about... How bad is this??

Wisteria1979 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:03:35

Not sure but I always threw out. Doesn't feel like a risk worth taking, and I wouldn't eat or drink anything (well water or red wine) that has been sat out for 2 hours so why would I let my children do it?

Wisteria1979 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:06:31

Whilst I agree it feels wasteful it's such a short period of time and as he is on solids as well assuming it's only a few feeds a day for a period of6 months max we are talking about....

RobotHamster Fri 17-Jul-15 18:08:21

Yeah, you need to chuck it.

soundsystem Fri 17-Jul-15 21:58:43

Yep agree with PP, you so need to chuck it. 2 hours is best practice for any high risk food left unrefrigerated so

Roseybee10 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:21:07

I've always chucked it after two hours. I wouldn't drink milk that had been lying out for two hours x

RobotHamster Sat 18-Jul-15 00:35:23

If you'd made it, and DS wasn't interested, and it went straight in the fridge, then possibly OK for slightly longer

In this weather? Warm muggy gross weather? Tbh, an hour would be enough.

PeppermintInfusion Sat 18-Jul-15 08:01:08

Formula is ok for 24 hours in the fridge, eg some people make up bottles ahead of time. There probably is a slightly greater germ risk if it is a beaker that has been used as mouth could transfer bacteria.

eurochick Sat 18-Jul-15 08:02:50

We always chuck it.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 18-Jul-15 12:17:59

On NHS website about commonly asked formula questions
-If made-up formula is stored in a fridge, use within 24 hours.
-If made-up formula is stored in a cool bag with an ice pack, use within four hours.
-If made-up formula is stored at room temperature, use within two hours

It also says to throw away any unfinished feed immediately.

The formula tins normally say keep for 1hour from when they started drinking from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now