Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

toddler in the sea/pool - do you use a floatation vest?

(12 Posts)
VaseandCandle Fri 17-Jul-15 16:00:22

He is nearly two and I will have hold of him the whole time. We have never used one in the swimming pool, but we are taking him in the sea for the first time and my husband suggested it would be safer to have one.

They look uncomfortable to meet and like they would be awkward when paddling.Any experiences on whether they are helpful please?

TarquinMoriartyGruntfuttockII Fri 17-Jul-15 18:00:25

Yes, your DH is correct and very sensible you really should have at least arm bands on your little one when you are around water.

Artandco Fri 17-Jul-15 18:04:42

In a pool at that age yes, never in the sea. One moment and he can float out too deep in a wave. All flotation devices are dangerous in the sea

merrymouse Fri 17-Jul-15 18:08:44

No. I think it gives a false sense of safety. Arm bands will not prevent drowning, are not a life saving device and don't really help with swimming. You need to supervise a small child in shallow water and hold on to them in deeper water. You really don't want a non swimming small child floating in the sea independently.

VaseandCandle Fri 17-Jul-15 19:17:26

Thanks for the replies. My husband will be pleased to hear you think he is sensible!

Artandco - sorry if I am being stupid, but I'm not sure I get why floatation devices are dangerous in the sea? But if they are, its exactly this information that I want to know before I decide whether to get one.

VeryPunny Fri 17-Jul-15 19:28:51

Just back from bucket and spade holiday on Norfolk and my 2 year old was paddling in the sea with no armbands. One of us was right beside her, if not holding onto her at all times. She wasn't going more than knee deep.

As a Pp said, I thought floatation devices were dangerous on waves? Wouldn't use one.

RugBugs Fri 17-Jul-15 19:32:15

In the pool we might play with a noodle or a float but we've never used arm bands.
The sea depends on the beach. We go to Southport where she wears nothing, there's just no point! Or Brighton/Eastbourne where it's quite steep and pebbley so a life vest that doesn't interfere with her centre of gravity so she can right herself easily.

knittingbee Sat 18-Jul-15 15:22:37

My 3yo loves his flotation vest in the pool, but for paddling in the sea then we don't use it. We never go any further than the edge of the water.

We do, however, dress him in a shortie wetsuit since he will stay out until his lips turn blue ;)

HerRoyalNotness Sat 18-Jul-15 15:29:53

Not the sea. They should be within an arms length reach of you in the ocean anyway. If they get knocked over you will be right there to pick them up.

Interestingly we bought life jackets to use at a friends lake house and found they were hopeless for our 2yo. It was the right size but kept pushing him face first into water rather than back with chest raised.

We use flotation devices in the pool that sit on the back as DS2 is older now, we had those arm hole ones with the chest support when he was younger which are very good keeping face out of the water.

merrymouse Sat 18-Jul-15 15:36:19

They are dangerous because

1) they aren't designed to
prevent drowning but can encourage a false sense of security
2) they encourage children to go out of their depth
3) waves, current and wind can pull children off shore and into deep water.

They can be fun in the pool and are helpful when you have more than one child, but in the sea they are not sensible at all.

TheSconeOfStone Sun 19-Jul-15 09:05:16

We used a vest type thing in the pool. My DC enjoyed paddling around the pool with me hovering close by. At the beach we don't bother as they just jump up and down in the shallow waves or play in little pools when the tide is out.

TeenAndTween Sun 19-Jul-15 16:05:00

We never used flotation devices.

In the sea you should be right by a toddler at all times.

In the pool we used noodles which encouraged correct body positioning. The swim teachers said not arm bands as they make the body too upright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now