Talk

Advanced search

Sleepy 3 week old

(5 Posts)
MSMB Wed 15-Jul-15 17:52:34

My DD is nearly 3 weeks old. Last night she was very sleepy and didn't really want to wake for feeds, I woke her anyway twice and she had minimal amounts and fell straight asleep. In the morning she was still sleepy when she would usually be very awake, I rang 111 for advice and was sent to children's ward for assessment. All seemed fine, she fed well, pulse temp and blood pressure all ok etc. been discharged but DD is still very sleepy and is sleeping more than usual. Should I still be worried or is this a growth spurt?

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Wed 15-Jul-15 19:29:09

If you're concerned I would get her checked out again. She's tiny and they change so quickly at this age. It could well be a growth spurt but we won't be able to diagnose that over the internet.

millymae Wed 15-Jul-15 20:11:20

How are her nappies OP - is she weeing OK?
If you are concerned please take her back.
My almost 4 week old was like this, sleepy, and not feeding as well as he had been doing. He had no temperature to speak of but we had noticed that his nappies were not as wet as perhaps they should have been.
The husband of a friend is a GP and OH and I just happened to bump into them both whilst we were out for a walk. His view was that he would never dismiss a mother's instinct and suggested that in view of the normal temperature we should by-pass out of hours and take him straight to A & E at the local children's hospital. We were reluctant to do so because he didn't seem that poorly to us, but thank goodness we did because if we hadn't he might not be here today. A urine sample tested positive for Streb B and within the hour we were up on the ward and intravenous antibiotics had been started. In all he was in hospital for 5 days and remained on antibiotics for the first 6 months of his life. Thankfully there were no long-term effects but that might not have been the case had we not gone to the hospital when we did.

Blankiefan Wed 15-Jul-15 20:52:54

Don't worry about wasting anyone's time. Every health professional I met when dd was a newborn was incredibly supportive and would ALWAYS rather see a baby when nothing was wrong than have you not take action.

Rachie1986 Wed 15-Jul-15 20:59:46

Always best to get things checked.

Let us know how things are x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now