Talk

Advanced search

kid's and babies clothes:frugal or frivolous?

(24 Posts)
fizzychuck89 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:09:25

I have a 2yo boy and a 6 month old girl. just asked DH to check how much money we've got to see if I can go to the next sale on Saturday. I want to get a start on next year's clothes!
so it got me wondering...how many t shirts/jumpers/trousers/coats etc does a child actually need?
I never buy clothes in the size that DD is actually in, I always go for bigger sizes to try and build up her wardrobe! I also need to start stocking up on winter bits for DS.
does anyone else do this? Do you have a set budget for their clothing? and where do you all shop? I'm a next addict, but get bits from nutmeg for the baby as I can't justify next prices until her clothes last longer..
I'm trying to be better with money, so any help greatly appreciated!
or even just a chat about shopping and baby clothes is fine grin

RabbitSaysWoof Tue 14-Jul-15 20:16:37

For next clothes I only get from choice so always half price and I don't feel the temptation to buy because it's a great price IYSWIM because thats the usual price in there. My weakness is Little Bird at Mothercare I always want to see what is in their sales.

worldsworstmum2015 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:23:37

I don't actively go out looking for clothes in the sale the idea of the next sale fills me with dread but if I do see something that's a bargain that will be ideal at some point in the next 12mth I'll buy it. I got dc3 a winter coat in the m&s sale a few weeks back for £5 & I got Dc1 school pants for September last year when they'd been reduced right down.

Nevercan Tue 14-Jul-15 21:00:18

I always go for supermarket clothes for the kids or h&m. I don't like spending too much as they grow out of it so quickly. Check out your nearest NCT nearly new sale in their website too I oink up lots of clothes there at bargain prices

Hero1callylost Tue 14-Jul-15 21:12:36

I pretty much only buy bits at Sainsburys when doing the shopping as and when needed. Bought a few pairs of shorts in the sale recently but DS (2) still fits all his tshirts and trousers and jumpers from last year so thats him sorted for summer. Will probably look on Gumtree for a bundle fto top up his wardrobe for winter. I like Sainsburys though as nice unoffensive designs and they size in the big side so last a while.

The only thing I'd shop deliberately for is shoes really and would go to Clarks when needed with £35ish in mind as they're the only shoes I can find to fit him well (wide feet so far!)

Pointlessfan Tue 14-Jul-15 21:15:11

I also buy a year ahead in the sales and also from supermarkets. DD has a lot of hand downs from friends and family too
I can't justify spending loads on clothes she will grow out of so quickly.

RandomMess Tue 14-Jul-15 21:15:13

TBH until they hit the end of primary school they had pretty much 90% 2nd hand clothes...

fizzychuck89 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:23:30

Since Ds was about 12 months stuff seemed to last longer so I don't mind paying a bit more for next,I love their designs and they wash well.
It's DD I'm stuffing for now, I've learnt not to buy expensive baby bits as they get ruined and don't last!
I'd love to be able to go to asda and pick things up, but I really don't like Disney motifs on clothes and their stuff seems to be sponsored by Winnie the pooh! hmm
I'm starting to build up dd's 9-12 and 12-18 months wardrobe up, how much do you think she will actually need? 9-12 would be autumn, and 12'18 would be winter?

ch1134 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:31:14

I get given lots of hand-me-downs and top up in charity shops or in h&m. I tend to just buy stuff when I see a bargain, and he always ends up with far too much! They don't need loads at around a year. I'd say just enough until the next wash is on... so far my son (18 months), has made do with only 2 pairs of shorts that fit this summer...

meglet Tue 14-Jul-15 21:36:04

random that's good to hear. I find loads of gems in charity shops and buy a year or two in advance. mine are 8 & 6 and still have loads of second hand stuff.

my new buys are gap sale, h&m and primark.

imip Tue 14-Jul-15 21:41:33

I have 4 Dds born within 5 years. I buy most stuff for the next year in the sales. I buy generally expensive bits that last. For example, they've had a mini-a-true coat that all four have worn and has been in constant use for around 5 years. The coat itself was about £30. There is almost an air of excitement when clothes are ready to be handed down, not quite, but they are generally not cross to receive hand-me-downs, it's more like a recognition that they are growing up. I get that this won't last forever! Dd3 actually thinks she'll be wearing my clothes soon enough grin.

I personally don't like next, but looks for bits by kin at john Lewis, Boden, mini-a-ture and a few other Scandinavian brands. They've been really durable and generally lasted all 4 kids.

Some prefer skirts to trousers, different colours etc, so it's not like dd no 4 looks downtrodden. I'm supernostalgic with all their clothes, I've handed them down again (yes!) to a friend's dd and I get teary when I see her wearing the dds clothes!

So I am a little frivolous with their clothes, but it ends up being quite frugal because they have been pretty durable and generally lasted the distance.

trilbydoll Tue 14-Jul-15 21:42:00

We have been spending £60 or so in each Mothercare sale to get the majority of what we need in the next size up. However, having done this for her current size, someone then kindly gave us a whole Ikea bag of clothes!

In case you're interested, this is too much and DD"s drawer is overflowing:

15 trousers / leggings / jeans
30+ short sleeved tshirts

fizzychuck89 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:20:22

I've never bought from boden or mini-a-ture, where would I purchase? do they have stores or online only? I see a lot of their stuff on ebay though so I may try bidding and see what the quality is like! smile
I'm so jealous of all you ladies that get hand me downs, all my friends have boys so it's costing me a fortune for DD! and my boy is the eldest so it's my friends that get our hand me downs...except sil, she has 2 boys but doesn't give me anything as she has cheap different taste to me anyway, and buys everything from primark and it's literally worn to death. 😯

imip Tue 14-Jul-15 22:43:25

Boden from Boden.co.uk
I get mini-a-ture from alexandalexa.com mainly, but also local boutiques during sale time. I do a lot of googling. As my DCs get older, there is a bit of m&s also.

Hellionsitem2 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:47:55

We receive hand me downs and buy clothes from charity shops/car boots/jumble sales just like many other middle class parents I know. Thriftiness and eclectic furniture are quite fashionable in our area.

TigerFeat Tue 14-Jul-15 22:59:19

Mine are older now. I quickly learned to just buy what they needed when they needed it, and get the best quality I could afford at that time.

Trying to 'buy ahead' just resulted in clothes fitting at the wrong time as you just can't predict how your children will grow. I once got a brilliant snowsuit from gap that didn't fit either child in winter so although a bargain at the time, was a complete waste of money.

I also swap clothes back and forth with a few other families, and this works well too.

Hellionsitem2 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:59:22

All my kids have 'micro wardrobes'. They have three drawers of clothes each. DS's consists of 3 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 long sleeve tops, 3 short sleeve tops, 7 pants, 7 pairs of socks, 2 sets of summer PJ's, 2 sets of fleecy winter PJ's, 3 jumpers, 1 light weight waterproof jacket, 1 warm winter snow coat, wellies, sandals, trainers.

Non of it new.

SignoraStronza Tue 14-Jul-15 23:06:08

Dd1, I shop in the sales if I chance across something I like. Her father's family like to buy her bits and so does my mil. I also pick up some things from a friend's second hand clothing shop. I recently spent a fortune in Fatface and the Joules sale too, as I wanted hardwearing clothes that could be passed down to dd2.

DD2 wears mostly cast offs from dd1 and some outfits that my mil likes picking up for her.

Baby ds wears a lot of the gender neutral stuff I had for the dds. DD2 has a little (boy) friend whose mum gives me his cast offs and I've picked up some NAS stuff from eBay. I like looking out for bargains in the next sizes up too.

I also help out at NCT sales and get a good pick of the bargains for all three of them.

ChorusLine69 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:06:31

There's a really good sale on the boots miniclub clothing at the moment. I've just bought quite a few half price bits in the next couple of sizes up for my little boy - I love the clothes they do. John lewis and marks and Spencer's also have some really good reductions online so I've recently bought winter stuff and swimming stuff in larger sizes, plus babygros for my soon to be niece

If you are after bargains as well, I've got a couple of eBay bundles which worked out very good value for the number of items - 6 pairs of trousers for around £7!

andadietcoke Tue 14-Jul-15 23:07:17

I buy for the DTs a year in advance. For next summer they have Boden and Frugi already (sales already on) and I'll top up with Next sale online tomorrow for nursery. I tend to resell their Boden and Frugi so don't mind spending more as I get a decent amount back to buy other pre loved stuff. They had way too much for this summer so will be a bit more restrained this year!

Hellionsitem2 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:10:30

Yes google NCT sales and put your postcode in to see where the nearest sales are located. Very cheap, often £1 an item

PumpkinPie2013 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:10:16

My ds is 19 months now and I'm fairly frugal with his clothes as he grows quickly plus with messy play at nursery and the garden at home, sometimes things get stained etc.

Most of his clothes are sainsbury's or asda with one or two things from next.

I don't buy too far ahead in case it doesn't fit when the time comes so I just buy what he needs when he needs it.

That said, I have just bought him an excellent winter coat in the trespass sale for this winter. It was £25 reduced from £50 and will last him the whole if Autumn and winter as I bought age 2-3.

We are rural and live at the top of a windy hill. Walking to the main road is sometimes necessary when it snows hard so a good winter coat is essential!

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-Jul-15 20:17:48

I have a 2 and a 3 year old (both girls which makes life easier somewhat).

Both will be doing various sessions at a preschool which has a "uniform" (coloured polo top to cut down on parents sending kids in in ridiculous stuff) from September which cuts down the clothes consumption quite a lot long term.

I'm lucky to be placed for a lot of clearance stores near me or my mum so easy access to a Next clearance and also a Matalan one where we get tonnes of things like leggings from (I don't generally like Matalan as a rule but they're good for rattling around the garden in the summer getting scruffy stuff).

Both sets of grandparents buy them stuff they pick up in the sales (MIL picked up a couple of lovely designer coats in the Debenhams sales for a fiver which randomly arrived in the post one morning and I should get another year out of DD1's and then pass it on to DD2!), my mum just sent a few things she picked up in the Boots sale down this morning as well. Me and my mum rake the charity shops a lot as well (oodles of Next stuff in ours!), but I also use the clubcard boosted vouchers to double up and get a load of stuff in Tesco when they've got nice stuff in.

Between various sales (I love it when Debenhams have one!), the odd grandparent indulgence, the supermarkets and clearance stores and charity shops my kids have the most random mix of wardrobe from designer down to Matalan reduced to 50p t-shirts... oh and we won Boden vouchers in the summer raffle at preschool so they're rocking a random bit of that as well!

Now they're that bit older I buy ahead in sales a lot - generally with the size they are if I buy anywhere between age 7 (DD1 is 3 but about the height of the average 5/6 year old) and age 3 (DD2 isn't much shorter than DD1!) it'll fit one of them at a vaguely wearable time of the year! I tend to cheap it up a bit more on summer stuff as the avenue for wearing it is so much narrower and my mum goes nuts on the cute summer outfits she can't resist front anyway!

Hardtoknow Wed 15-Jul-15 23:15:34

I buy ahead a lot in the sales so both DC already have their winter coats for next year as well as new dressing gowns as their current ones with be outgrown and I have bought them their swim suits for next year as well as odds and ends of t-shirts, shorts etc. However, I am more reluctant to do that at the moment having had my fingers burned with DD shooting up last year and not fitting some of the bits I bought her last year and DS hardly growing and therefore his bits being too big. It is most inconsiderate of them!
For young children, I find that the Sainsburys range aren't that dissimilar in style to Next.
Once DD got to about 2 and liked to chose her own clothes, I essentially introduced a wardrobe for her which consisted of a denim pinafore (ASDA), a navy cord skirt (JoJo), denim jeans and navy leggings and DD could then mix this with any t-shirt and tights that she wanted and it more or less co-ordinated. We then saved "outfits" (eg specifically co-ordinating tops & bottoms which had been bought together) for special occasions as otherwise it always seemed to be that one bit of the outfit would be clean and the other bit dirty or DD would get food down the top within 5 minutes of putting it on but not having another top which went with the bottoms which were still clean.
We are relatively cash rich/time poor so I would rather buy a couple of extra tops than have to sit up of an evening waiting for the washing machine to finish so that I can hang something up and hope it dries overnight. Having said that, when I once sorted out DD's clothes and realised she had enough outfits to last three weeks without having to wash anything other than one pair of tights, I reined back a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now