Talk

Advanced search

Best place for sleepsuites/vests?

(24 Posts)
Yummysalads Tue 14-Jul-15 17:27:04

Hello ladies,
I'm not due until March, but would like to start sorting things.
Which places are best for sleepsuites/vests, in terms of quality...
I really like the quality, and will be getting a few bits from there, but I don't really like their styles for newborns all that much.
I've been looking at M&S and their designs are beautiful, are they good quality? I've only ever bought underwear from them (apart from groceries), and they fell apart pretty quickly..
Although, my Mum did use to buy my school uniform and muslins from there.

P.S, this is my first baby and I'd like everything new, although I know some people will turn their nose up at that since they're only in these things for a little while and they get puked on etc etc etc

Thank you all x x x

HelenF35 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:35:20

Sainsburys are really good quality and have fold over mitts.

Lonelylass1218 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:35:30

The best vests I got my baby was from primark, it was £2.75 for 3 which was a bargain. They wash well compared to the ones I got from next, gap and m&s. Most of my sleep suits are from next and I got them due to them having lovely designs but I love the feel and quality of the ones others got me from boots

Pandapickle100 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:38:21

I find the sleep suits at m&s soooo inconsistent, some are great and some fit very badly (my newborns feet used to fall out of one sleep suit as the poppers were too far apart!) . The best in terms of fit, wash, design and integrated mittens on all is Next... Vests I find m&s and next the best quality in my opinion

Pico2 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:46:15

The best for us have been Boden rompers. They still feel almost new on DD2 even though both DD1 and DD2 have worn them every day.

Yummysalads Tue 14-Jul-15 17:54:26

Pico2, I was thinking of Boden earlier actually! Only con to them is I like to feel and look and things before I buy.

RobotHamster Tue 14-Jul-15 17:58:32

Next sleepsuits are good, and there are always bundles on eBay. Even second hand I've always found them good quality.

Sainsbury's have good quality basic vests.

M&S is random, sizing can be all over the place.

Mothercare good, but often shrink a lot if you tumble dry

RobotHamster Tue 14-Jul-15 17:59:06

John Lewis often have nice sleepsuits in the sales, so look out for them.

Buglife Tue 14-Jul-15 18:27:23

My favourite for thick cotton were John Lewis, and they were the most generous for sizing. However in terms of lasting, I found DS was growing out of most things before they had anything like time to go bobbly or faded, regardless of where they were from! But he's always been given loads of clothes, if you had a few sleepsuits and a sicky baby I think you might wash them more.

Yummysalads Tue 14-Jul-15 18:41:04

Will have to have a nose at John Lewis. It's a shame I haven't got a store anywhere near me (I live in Essex) hmm

Buglife Tue 14-Jul-15 19:14:17

Yup in Essex too, went to Norwich as I was there for a day anyway! And then Stratford Westfield as well.

Yummysalads Tue 14-Jul-15 19:30:30

Big life, my Nanna lives in East London so I'll make a day of it. It's strange that there isn't actually one near us, because they're supposedly the most popular and frequent department store in the UK.

Pico2 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:35:41

I think Boden often do free returns, so that might help.

fredandme123 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:41:47

Jo Jo Maman Bebe for sleepsuits and tesco for vests.

worldsworstmum2015 Tue 14-Jul-15 19:44:50

Next aren't the cheapest but I do find the sleepsuits good quality generous sizes and wash like new. I buy vests from primark or asda in the case of nappy explosions I just put them straight in the bin. And there's nothing wrong with buying everything new for your 1st born if that's what you want but I wouldn't go too overboard especially with newborn things as they've grown out within a few weeks.

NickyEds Tue 14-Jul-15 20:36:55

Next are the cutest, have integral scratch mits and have good resale value. Mothercare are generously sized and stay soft longest after washing. Sainsbury's are the best supermarket. Early on in this pregnancy I had to sort through a lot of baby clothes from ds and various other hand-me-downs and Next and Mothercare are definitely in the best nick after being used by more than one baby.

monkey2014 Wed 15-Jul-15 00:53:23

Ours grows out of sleepsuits legs first so it helped to have some from different shops for us. We have loads of second hand boots ones which were really nice. When newborn he outgrew mothercare first, then boots, then next. we also got a couple of hand me down sleepuits without feet, which was great for the in between bit where 3month+ clothes were still massive on him but there wasn't enough leg room in the smaller clothes.

Baffled2012 Wed 15-Jul-15 01:28:16

Don't feel bad about wanting new. I was the same for my first and have just had my second and have bought new again. Maybe I was unlucky but by the time my first outgrew his baby grows/vests they had had it. He was quite a sicky baby though.
John Lewis all the way for vests and baby grows. The do packs of 5 for about £10.
The love to dream swaddle is amazing. It zips up so a million times easier than those you are supposed to do so tight they stay in place (mine never did) or the Velcro ones which attach to everything apart from the bit they are supposed to. Jojo maman does them. Apologies in advance of this link doesn't work.

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+love-to-dream-swaddle-in-sleeping-bags+b1687?gclid=CLf4z7Du28YCFWXItAodg9MMSw

Yummysalads Wed 15-Jul-15 10:55:30

Can't thank everyone enough for the info.

Big thanks to Baffled2012, that was so helpful and the link did indeed work, thank you.

Baffled2012 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:26:53

Seeing as I seem to have got the knack for the link thingy here are some other things I couldn't live without and wish I knew about first time round.

Metanium nappy rash cream. The yellow one. The everyday one is fine but if your baby gets a nappy rash and they probably will at some point (teething often causes their wee and poo to be more acidic so they tend to get sore bums then). We tried lots of other makes first time round and most are useles. This one works pretty much in 24 hours

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Metanium-Nappy-Rash-Ointment-30g-_8692/

The sleepyhead. Everyone I know who has one thinks it's brilliant. I've just moved my eight month of DD into the bigger one. She like to snuggle into the sides of hers. I also take it away with us as it gives her some familiarity in new surroundings

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/sleepyhead-deluxe-bed-guard-white/p231482924?sku=231482924&kpid=231482924&s_kenid=e8b84e50-33a2-42b0-9725-74fcc61d7d1d&s_kwcid=403x167757&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=231482924#page_loaded

Just in case you are bottle feeding the Dr Brown ones seem to be good for helping decrease air going into the baby when feeding. They do leak a bit which is annoying. Also don't buy their steam steriliser as it brakes about every 3 months. You can use a tommee tippee one just fine with the bottles

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Dr-Browns-Wide-Necked-Baby-feeding-Bottles-240ml-2Pack_999072/

Dohm white noise machine. I have one for each of my children. This is the only one endorsed by the national sleep council or something (and my Matenity nurse!)

www.amazon.co.uk/Marpac-Dohm-Speed-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B006Z9V1LM

Angelcare baby monitor is brilliant and reliable but doesn't have amazing range. We tried the I baby thinking it will be amazing to be able to see what our little one was up to when we were out for dinner or away but it never worked properly and then there were those articles about them being really easy to hack into and there is a website which links in to them so people anyone can access it. Scary!
We never bothered with the sensor pad thing but the video steam means you can easily see if baby is ok

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/angelcare-video-with-movement-and-sound-monitor-ac1100/p231377141#page_loaded

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and enjoy your baby when s/he arrives!

mrsmugoo Thu 16-Jul-15 08:34:07

I like Asda for basics and jojomamanbebe for nicer ones.

Eminybob Thu 16-Jul-15 08:53:12

I had loads of Mamas and Papas ones when ds was a newborn, but I got them from an outlet store so they were half the price that they usually are.

They have closed the outlets near me and I'm not prepared to pay full price as they are dear but they are lovely quality. Soft and nice unusual designs with built in scratch mitts.

Yummysalads Thu 16-Jul-15 09:52:29

Baffled2012, thanks so much again! Even more helpful. Good you got the hang of the link situation, could come in handy in the future ;)

Think I'll buy some basic white vests from Asda, as they'll easily be replaced.. Trouble is my Asda doesn't have much in terms of baby stuff hmm

lagirafe Thu 16-Jul-15 10:04:35

I second Asda for basics - really good quality and wash well too. You can order online too.

Next sleepsuits are also excellent if cost is no issue. They are very thick (good quality!) so I'd have a few thinner ones too for warmer days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now