Talk

Advanced search

Foreskin care

(3 Posts)
MioNome Tue 14-Jul-15 13:28:40

I've got 2 DS, almost 3yo and 8mo.

I've read up about foreskin care as want to make sure I know what current advise is. Basically - leave them alone! When foreskin is ready to be retracted chances are the boy will have worked it out themselves.

I've also read that it might be worthwhile telling them that this will happen so when it does, it's not too alarming. Also to mention about general hygiene/cleaning underneath in the bath once it fully retracts.

My question is, is 3yo too young to mention what will happen to DS1? He often plays with his willy and I've noticed it balloons sometimes when he pees - a sign that the foreskin is starting to separate naturally apparently.

I don't want to mention it to him if it means he'll try to retract it before it's ready - although my rational mind tells me this is unlikely.

What have other mums of boys done?

Twinkie1 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:31:56

I did nothing, said nothing then at 4 he had a huge infection and had to be circumcised. His foreskin was attached to his glands so was always going to be an issue but I was distraught and questioned whether it was my fault for not doing something.

The consultant reassured me saying leave it alone completely as foreskins are self cleaning and shouldn't be yanked about (until the boys start doing it themselves.)

gamerchick Tue 14-Jul-15 13:38:00

I never did or said anything. The boys did it all themselves when they were ready.

That's assuming all is as normal and no problems but you'll sharp know if it isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now