Talk

Advanced search

Getting baby to nap with DD around

(5 Posts)
StrangeGlue Tue 14-Jul-15 09:25:43

Ds is 6.5 months and dd is 3.5 years. He used to go down for a nap quite fast but is getting slower as he's nosier. She has always disliked having me go and put him down for a nap but is getting less and less tolerant.

This is bringing together a perfect storm of him just dropping off as her temper expires so she wakes him by screaming/crying outside his room/coming into his room.

I feel like I've tried everything: preparing her, sneaking off, reasoning, getting her things I know she likes doing ready, holding back things she likes to nap time for her to do, talking about how him going to sleep means she gets me to herself. Shouting sad

What can I do? I think it's mix of jealousy, wanting him up and not wanting me put of her sight. She was such a terrible sleeper and Ds is so good I really don't want his napping trashed or to move away from having it in his cot.

Help!

crazytyke Mon 20-Jul-15 12:52:13

in the long run I think getting baby to go down quicker will give you an easier life! how do u usually settle him? can you work towards a dump & run routine?

Roseybee10 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:57:28

Having the same issues. If I put dd2 to sleep in living room dd1 will poke her or shout to wake her as she wants to play with her.
If I put her down in her cot then dd1 won't stay out while I settle her and keeps coming in and shouting.

I rely on getting out for nap time in afternoon so baby sleeps in pram and I've given in to a movie in the morning with the baby sleeping on me and dd1 cuddled on the other side so she has my attention. X

MrsHenryCrawford Mon 20-Jul-15 14:03:48

Would a star chart work with the toddler? A star for every day.she doesn't barge in. Can you involve her in your ds nap routine e.g. helping with grobag, pre nap nappy change?

GuybrushThreepwoodMightyPirate Mon 20-Jul-15 19:48:20

Will she sit still to watch a dvd for the time you're out of the room?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now