Talk

Advanced search

what no pressies??

(122 Posts)
bloom73 Mon 13-Jul-15 12:11:21

Had daughter's lush 8th birthday party in the park ystd, no to pressies no to party bags, yes to fun, swings, hammocks, tree climbing, berry picking, jelly, ice creams and cake!

Instead of pressies we passed round a hat & collected fifty quid for birthday girl to spend in oxfam over the coming weeks. She's happy to be helping towards the Nepal earthquake thro' oxfam, and not to be creating more environmental impacts - trad' parties can breed waste (making new toys= more resources used & more pollution) ,when they should be about bringing friends together and having fun.

We're off to spend some of the donations with a couple of her pals after school =more fun than a pile of uneeded/chosen toys (tho granted some pressies can be cool, but lots don't get used).

We did buy her some pressies by the way - she loves her new trapeze swing & bike!

I'll step down from my soap box now please share this idea to reduce the impacts of lots and lots of kids birthdays Imagine the good that could be done and the damage to our lovely world avoided!! thanks CPx

MegMogandOwlToo Mon 13-Jul-15 12:12:48

Ok great, thanks.

Emochild Mon 13-Jul-15 12:14:31

Each to their own

TopCivilServant Mon 13-Jul-15 12:15:36

Smuggy smug smug?

PeterParkerSays Mon 13-Jul-15 12:30:26

How do you know that her friends wouldn't have bought 2nd hand presents from Oxfam? You could have given them that option rather than have to put in a reasonable amount of money to save face in front of the rest of the party guests.

DorisLessingsCat Mon 13-Jul-15 12:34:02

Judgy much?

NerrSnerr Mon 13-Jul-15 12:36:41

I'd hate to have to cough up money at a party, too much pressure when money is tight.

DidILeaveTheGasOn Mon 13-Jul-15 12:39:51

Trad? Is that a thing now? Can i say things like, 'wow, trad, much?' Or do I need to be a pinch younger to get away with that?

Ejzuudjej Mon 13-Jul-15 12:46:51

How worthy. I wonder if your daughter really feels the same way...

GoblinLittleOwl Mon 13-Jul-15 12:47:39

Well, aren't you just wonderful.

ShirleySmears Mon 13-Jul-15 12:48:46

Any party where guests are told what they need to do WRT presents is naff. Sorry

And how is giving the child cash to spend on herself not a present?

HeiressesGiltnor Mon 13-Jul-15 12:50:40

Ugh.

Looseleaf Mon 13-Jul-15 12:51:16

I don't like the idea of collecting money as think 'no presents' sit's much more comfortably. But it sounds a really lovely pm

RigglinJigglin Mon 13-Jul-15 12:51:26

biscuit

BeautifulBatman Mon 13-Jul-15 12:55:05

A whip round at a kids bday party? Honestly?

Also, I hope the trapeze and bike she was given by you was 2nd hand, otherwise not only are you a patronising smug git, but a hypocritical one too.

Chillyegg Mon 13-Jul-15 12:55:32

shock

You gathered a collection!?

You're making your daughter buy her presents from oxfam?

Ive heard it all now
Please take one of these im afraid thats ridiculous biscuit

SomewhereIBelong Mon 13-Jul-15 12:55:46

mine have a couple of friends round, make their own pizza, eat cake, play a bit and go home. We like to leave presents - or not - up to the guests.

sitting in a shelter in the park in the sleet and biting wind would not be much fun for DD14 in December...

Sparklingbrook Mon 13-Jul-15 12:59:56

Team 'Trad parties' here i am afraid.

ShirleySmears Mon 13-Jul-15 13:00:53

If I was asked to donate cash for present to be bought at Oxfam, I'd feel obliged to give £5 (maybe £10). If I bought a gift in the charity shop I could do it for £1, so your system's pretty grabby OP.

Also, what Batman said.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 13-Jul-15 13:09:37

grin you are very funny OP.

Viviennemary Mon 13-Jul-15 13:15:36

I think it's absolutely dreadful to pass round a hat after a party. How embarassing. If you want to donate to Oxfam then do it. Don't expect other folk to make donations for you. Everything done on the cheap in a park and then charging for it. hmm

Tapasfairy Mon 13-Jul-15 13:19:52

Your forcing people to donate to oxfam, how much do oxfam spend on advertising? How much do they pay to chuggers? How much did the pen cost that they sent to me with a begging letter last week?

Good lord your sucking the fun out of your child's birthday. Birthdays are once a year...they are fun.

Heels99 Mon 13-Jul-15 13:22:25

No to presents? Apart from a swing, a bike and £50 worth of tat from oxfam. Fail to see how that helps the environment. 'Trad parties breed waste'

Fgs. I am cringing on your behalf.

PatriciaHolm Mon 13-Jul-15 13:22:36

But she did get presents - money. Which you are going to make her spend in a particular shop.

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 13-Jul-15 13:26:27

I would have spent the £50 in pounbdland, at least then the workers in Sweatshops just outside of norwich will have not worked in vein!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now