meningitis B vaccine

(9 Posts)
TigerLily666 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:52:01

Hi everyone

My DS is nearly 2 so will not be given the new MenB vaccine (Bexsero) as part of the routine immunisation programme (being introduced in Sept)

I am seriously considering paying to get the vaccine given privately and wondered if anyone had gone down this route and if so, did your children experience any side effects / adverse reactions to the jab.

Bit scared because vaccine is relatively new but finding thought of meningitis even scarier (especially as know one little girl who contracted it)

Thanks

TheBuggerlugs Thu 09-Jul-15 22:41:12

Hi Tiger. Our 9m old DD has had the 1st of 3 injections. Your DC may only need 2 due to being older. Both my DD and a friend's DD that had it have had side effects similar to that of a cold but nothing too serious. I've told myself that if she contracts Men B she'll be lucky if she loses a limb and doesn't die so the side effects are easily put up with. We paid £130 a shot through CityDocs.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Fri 10-Jul-15 19:17:57

We've had DD (2.9) done (she just had the 'one year on' booster). It was absolutely fine for all jabs, the only side effect was from the last - the injected her arm (previously used her thigh but she's big enough for arms now) and it was a bit sore for a couple of days.

It is pricey, but I feel so much happier now she's got some protection.

HamishBamish Fri 10-Jul-15 20:08:12

I've had our 2 done (they are 5 and 7). They had 2 doses each and were fine. DS2 had a brush with viral meningitis when he was a baby, so I'm very paranoid. I feel better now they've had it and that I've done all I can to protect them. It was £120 per dose, so £240 for each of them. It pricey, but if you can afford it I would definitely got for it.

DanyStormborn Fri 10-Jul-15 21:13:54

My 4 month old has had the first 2 doses. First dose just usual post vaccine moodiness and painless lump in her leg. Second dose (on hottest day of the year) she had a fever, vomitting, diarrhoea, sleepyness and a painful red lump, all but the lump was better by the next day though, the lump Ian ping down nicely two weeks on. Third dose booked for next month. The side effects weren't nice but I'm glad we are vaccinating her as meningitis is so horrible. I would imagine a 2 year old would cope better with it than a baby.

wibblywobblytummytumtum Fri 10-Jul-15 21:31:10

We paid for both DS10 and DD4 to be vaccinated last summer.They needed two doses each so £240 each in total. Both had small lumps on their arms and felt slightly 'off' the next day but so worth it for the peace of mind. We used the Fleet Street clinic.

TigerLily666 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:03:28

Thanks everyone. This has put my mind at rest a bit. I think I am going to book DS in for his jab in Aug when we are off for a week so both hubbie and I are around if he is a bit unwell afterwards. Don't really understand why they aren't extending the vaccine tbh.

NinjaPanda34 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:07:21

You must do it. Whatever the cost and side effects. My sister died from the blood poisoning form of meningitis.

BlearyeyedLol Thu 16-Jul-15 21:08:39

OMG Njnja how sad and devastating. I also know someone who lost a 3 year old dd to meningitis
I paid for my dd to have it and she will have the second dose at the end of the month. She's 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now