Talk

Advanced search

Holiday tips

(9 Posts)
LittlePink Thu 09-Jul-15 20:18:33

We are going to Majorca in September with our 3 yr old and 8 mth old. Do you have any tips on how to make things as easy as we can? Ds will probably be on formula by then. Is it expensive out there? What is the best bottled water for babies to make the bottles up?

What are the best nappies? Are they expensive?

We will take the pushchair but will the airline let us take a buggy board too?

We have a good routine going at home. Is it better to keep to it or let it relax whilst we're there?

Are there any other tips that could help?

Thanks

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 09-Jul-15 20:23:28

You're not supposed to use bottled water to make up formula. Too many minerals. Use boiled water from a kettle.

My advice would be to go with the flow. Forget about routines and let the kids sleep wherever you are.

lexyloub Thu 09-Jul-15 20:26:46

Order any nappies ot formula you'll need from boots to pick up at the airport this won't be included in your luggage allowance. Nappies are easy enough to but abroad but I wouldn't rely on being able to get a specific formula over there probably best to take it with you. Airlines only take your buggy off you going on to the plane not sure about a buggy board.

lexyloub Thu 09-Jul-15 20:29:00

And I always used boiled bottled water to make up bottles I've never heard not too my 3 dc have always been fine

Hipotle Thu 09-Jul-15 20:30:50

Take a packet of ziplock sandwich bags. You will find a million uses for them - snack bag, emergency nappy bag, bag for wet swimming stuff after the beach, somewhere to keep leakable stuff like suncream or mozzie spray, rubbish bag, refillable water balloon for the adults to play with, the list goes on grin

Hipotle Thu 09-Jul-15 20:31:59

Waaaahhh, strike through fail. Was meant to be adults kids.

I'm rubbish smile

Twowrongsdontmakearight Thu 09-Jul-15 20:37:39

Hi,

For the water, get a mini kettle (Sainsbury etc have them) and converter plug then you can boil and cool water for formula whenever you need to. I'd take formula supplies with you if you want to use a specific brand, but most supermarkets stock international brands. Same with nappies. At the moment the pound is strong against the Euro so things are a bit cheaper - might be even stronger if we get a Grexit!

About the buggy, when we flew to Spain we were able to take the buggy to the gate then the air hostesses packed it somewhere on the plane for the journey. We got it back at the carousel.

Another top tip would be to take Calpol sachets with you, we can never find it over there.

I really hope you have a lovely hol. We actually gave up on going abroad, even in the spring having spent two holidays inside air-conditioned bedrooms as DC both were miserable in the heat / got ill from infections picked up on the plane and DS hated the food! We stuck to Cornwall and Wales until quite recently!

Good luck!

KatyN Fri 10-Jul-15 07:13:13

I would take a paddling pool. Handy for the little one to splash in if the big pool is too big. You can also take it to the beach to fill up.

BlueThursday Fri 10-Jul-15 07:56:41

Bottled water is best to boil not local. Just check the sodium content against the guidelines on the NHS website

An empty paddling pool is also great as a playpen for the little one

We use sterilising bags when we go away - one lasts 24 hours

Talc is excellent for removing sand from bodies so take one of the mini ones

Feed the little one or use a dummy for take off and landing and possibly a sweetie for your 3yo

As above just go with the flow and enjoy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now