Talk

Advanced search

Left 4 month old alone for a minute

(20 Posts)
SteggySaurus Wed 08-Jul-15 12:30:21

I live in an apartment on the second floor and while my four month old was sleeping someone buzzed up with a delivery. I asked them if they could bring it up but they couldn't so I went down in the lift to collect, leaving the baby alone. The front entrance in right out of the lift and the lift doors open right in front of my door so I was gone for about a minute at the most. He was still fast asleep in his cot.

It wasn't until I got back that I started to feel a bit uneasy. I won't be making a habit of doing it but is it ok to leave him for a minute to run downstairs to get a delivery or even get something from the car if he's asleep?

juneau Wed 08-Jul-15 12:32:15

IMO yes. If he's in a safe place i.e. his cot (and you make damn sure you don't forget your keys!), then yes I think its fine.

batteredlanger Wed 08-Jul-15 12:33:10

I wouldn't. I do kind of, but I live in s cottage in the countryside. I'm on my own drive if I go out to the car. What if you got stuck in the lift?

SteggySaurus Wed 08-Jul-15 12:36:03

Thank you June. I just spoke to OH and he said that I leave him alone for longer when I'm in the shower so not to worry. He said the same thing about keys!

SteggySaurus Wed 08-Jul-15 12:37:29

Oh God, I didn't think about the lift breaking down. I thought it was the quickest way. The stairs are right next to the lift so if I need to pop out again maybe I'll take the stairs.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 08-Jul-15 12:38:57

Ah - but you might fall down the stairs, knock yourself unconscious, wake up, forget who you are and elope with the delivery man who has been patiently waiting.

kelda Wed 08-Jul-15 12:40:44

I've been stuck twice in lifts, so that would have been my biggest worry.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 08-Jul-15 12:40:58

It is fine to leave them somewhere safe for a few minutes.

SteggySaurus Wed 08-Jul-15 12:41:02

Haha I'll buy a bucket and rope and hang it off the balcony. Then shout down to the delivery man to put it in and I'll pull it back up.

lexyloub Wed 08-Jul-15 12:41:33

Of course that's ok if you lived in a house and he was asleep in the bedroom would you be asking the same thing? He was very safe where you left him you can't be stuck to your babies side every second of the day unfortunately daily life doesn't allow for it. Don't be hard on yourself

SteggySaurus Wed 08-Jul-15 12:43:29

Kelda, I went through a phase of about six months of getting stuck in lifts at least fortnightly. Once, I was going to a Halloween party with friends and had to be rescued by firemen. They were surprised to see us emerge from the lift covered in fake blood.

Not been stuck in one for a long time though!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Jul-15 12:44:15

of course it's ok.he was safe and asleep. You collected a parcel you didn't go fir a 5 mile run.

like your dh said you'd be gone longer in the bathroom

Blazing88 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:45:51

I lived in a third floor flat, no lift with a newborn and an 18month old.

I had no choice but to leave them on their own whilst I took them down to the car one at a time! They were then left in the car on their own whilst I ran back up to get the other one. Did this for over 6 months.

You do what you've got to do imo! Stop stressing.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 08-Jul-15 12:47:25

Oh yes I like the basket and rope idea.

Work on that - you could use it for lowering the baby down as well.

queenofthepirates Wed 08-Jul-15 12:55:18

Yeah it's fine. I locked myself out of the house with my 1 week old asleep on the bed, 2 minutes before the midwife arrived. She and I managed to find a nice man to shimmy over the fence and break in through the less secure back door. No damage done and midwife saw the funny side. DD still with me and unscathed 4 years on.

WhetherOrNot Wed 08-Jul-15 18:35:30

Ignore the naysayers i.e. stuck in lift, flat on fire, frozen block of piss from a plane coming through roof...............of COURSE it's alright.

RoganJosh Wed 08-Jul-15 18:38:19

Love it, Exit !

NorahBone Wed 08-Jul-15 20:21:40

I'm also in a 2nd floor flat, no lift. Like Blazing I've always had to leave the baby upstairs while I take the pushchair up and down etc.
I would have thought the risks of carrying a baby down the stairs or carrying baby and parcel in the lift (how do you press the button?) far outweigh the risk of you being delayed on the way. If you're not breastfeeding would you take a bottle as well, just in case? grin

FireflyGirl Wed 08-Jul-15 22:03:14

If awake, I'd use a sling and take him with me, but asleep in his cot - absolutely fine.

flanjabelle Wed 08-Jul-15 22:06:14

I live on the second floor and have had to leave dd in her cot or playpen every time I have had too much to bring up from the car in one go. Other than cart her up and down again and again I can't see another option. I have never worried about it as she is in a safe place. Chill op. you have done nothing wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now