Talk

Advanced search

Breast pump recommendations

(10 Posts)
HelenF35 Wed 08-Jul-15 00:32:43

Hi all,

Looking for some breast pump advice. Want to start expressing when I get to 6 weeks. What kind of pump is best? Manual? Electric? I have no idea what I am looking for so any help would be much appreciated! grin

TwoLittleBlooms Wed 08-Jul-15 01:55:40

Hi Helen I would say it really depends on how many bottles/feeds you are planning to express. I have an Ameda electric double pump (and currently a Medela Symphony on hire which in my opinion is brilliant) but I have had to express most of my baby's feeds for the last 6 months, it is a very good pump. If it is just for the occasional bottle/feed then a manual would be fine, I also have a Phillips Avent manual which is really good (although sometimes can be a little squeaky for some reason) and a Tommee Tippee which I used at the start but found the length of the flange was too short for me when using it and ended up with sore, damaged nipples.

Kent1982 Wed 08-Jul-15 09:18:09

Hello

I don't have a great deal of experience, I started expressing at about 8 weeks just so I could leave LO for short periods of time like going to hair dressers or to have a little bottle in case he was hungry when out.

I first had the boots manual one which I got to grips with quite well and liked I built a little stash of milk for the freezer. It does make your hand hurt a bit the squeezing of it. Over all it did the job for what I wanted.

I then melted it in the microwave steriliser eeeeeek

I then bought. Tommy tipee mNual pump, this was more expensive than the boots one and I just can't get on with it it's a bit flimsy and I just can't get the milk I could with the boots one. So I've given up for a few weeks now.

I haven't tried an electric one but from What I hear they save you lots of time on manual I don't think I needed electric as I was only using as a back up so I wouldn't have got the use out of it

dairyfreequeen Wed 08-Jul-15 09:29:28

i had a tommee tippee manual, and gave up on it, i was only getting 1 or 2 oz at a time and it took ages. i got an electric phillips avent which is good, more comfortable than the medela swing i tried BUT last time i was in babies r us (last week) they had electric lansinoh ones on half price, so maybe have a look? it might be online too, i dont know

HeyMicky Wed 08-Jul-15 09:34:15

I bought a Spectra. It's not as well known a brand as some others but it's excellent, have had much better results than with the Avent I used for DD1. Very quiet too

Teeste Wed 08-Jul-15 09:39:13

I've been using a Lansinoh single electric for the past 2 weeks as my DS won't bf (he's mix fed). It's currently on sale for £66 at [http://www.mothercare.com/Lansinoh-Single-Electric-Breast-Pump/604999,default,pd.html#q=lansinoh%20pump Mothercare], which is a bit of a bargain. Works just as well as the hospital Medela one I used IMO. But if you're planning on expressing a lot, I'd go for a double pump to save time - wish I had!

Teeste Wed 08-Jul-15 09:39:51

Link fail! I blame the sleep deprivation! Mothercare link

applecore0317 Thu 09-Jul-15 03:29:36

I use a mini medela electric pump, really happy with it and can express 5oz in less than ten mins using it

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 09-Jul-15 07:07:58

I have a medals freestyle, it's great but very expensive! I had to pump to establish supply though as DD was Orem and in NICU.
For occasional expressing a single electric or a manual would be sufficient. I do recommend Medea, I know a few mums who have got on well with them as a brand.

Roseybee10 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:03:37

I had a medela swing which was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now