Talk

Advanced search

Independent play 4 year old

(8 Posts)
suddenlycupishalffull Mon 06-Jul-15 15:55:27

Just seeking the experience of others really. DS1 has just turned 4, has never been good at independent play but with an 18 month old it's becoming more & more difficult. If I'm doing something where I obviously can't play, like hoovering or cooking, he'll leave me alone & play happily but generally it's 'let's play this...let's pretend that...' If I set him up with a puzzle, play doh etc then he's soon calling me back 'help me with such and such...do such and such with me...' I'm a SAHM & often get on the floor with them both & play & they have an exceptionally indulgent Grandparent who drops everything as soon as he's through the door & plays constantly. I've no idea what he's like at pre- school but I'd love him to be a bit more independent at home.

suddenlycupishalffull Tue 07-Jul-15 13:08:23

Bump!

theconstantvacuumer Tue 07-Jul-15 13:14:23

No idea except I have a DD just the same. She follows me around the house and can't seem to settle at anything by herself for very long. She does love books though so I'm hoping once she can read, she'll settle with a good book for a wee while.

suddenlycupishalffull Tue 07-Jul-15 14:19:07

It's reassuring to know it's not just me! Yesterday she was asking me what the writing says in her comic do she could follow the instructions & it did occur to me that this would get easier when she can read it for herself wink

KatyN Wed 08-Jul-15 06:44:03

I think my son is quite good at independent play-he's 3.8 but there are only a few toys that keep him quiet for long periods.
Imaginative play he'll need one of us with him, so playmobil or cars etc.
However, setting him up with an obstacle course (normally climbing over the dinning chairs) will entertain. Similar exploring new textures, water in the garden has been a big hit this year, as was flour. I might get out oats later. He played with these when he was smaller but it seems they are addictive again.
Sometimes an everyday object amazes me, a hole punch, kitchen tongs, there doesn't seem to be any predictability with these they are just a massive bonus when they happen!
Of course half an hour tops!!

CharlesRyder Wed 08-Jul-15 06:49:21

My DS is 5 in August and has only recently become great at independent play, which I put partly down to developing his skills in Reception.

Last summer holidays I don't think he really played on his own at all. Now it's possible not to see him for a few hours because he's doing stuff in his room or the garden. So, I think it will come- maybe you are just expecting it a little early?

theconstantvacuumer Wed 08-Jul-15 08:24:05

I think you are right, Charles. I just remember DS happily playing with his Lego for an hour at a time at the same age.

suddenlycupishalffull Thu 09-Jul-15 15:43:55

Ok thank you that's really helpful, esp that half an hour is realistic, I'm probably expecting a bit too much, a bit too young!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now