Talk

Advanced search

Toy ideas for 2.3 year old please!

(34 Posts)
OwlOffshore Sun 05-Jul-15 21:33:57

My DS is 2.3 and seems to be rather bored of his toys. I haven't bought him anything new for ages - mainly as he was given so much for his 1st birthday by well-meaning friends and family that we held a lot back and eeked them out over time. And he mainly had clothes and books for his last birthday.

When he gets bored, he starts to throw, so time for something new I think.

But I am a bit stumped as to what to get him.

He has a toy kitchen and does play with it for a little while most days. Loves toy cars and fire engines. Seems to dislike crafts and couldn't care less about the aquadoodle he has...

We have a postage-stamp sized garden but plenty of space inside so could cope with toys that need space.

Ideas would be very welcome!

JillBYeats Sun 05-Jul-15 21:41:47

My kids favorite was a wooden 4 wheel trike like this. My kids lived on it - until they were way too old for it - have only just retired ours and they are well into primary!

A small trampoline with handle was good too like this one

meglet Sun 05-Jul-15 21:43:56

duplo.

Love51 Sun 05-Jul-15 21:54:00

My nearly 2 yo's favourite thing is a towel. Not a specific one, any towel or blanket he can hide under. Also musical instruments (glockenspiel, tamborine) and books. And pushing his 'baby' in a pram. And playing with his big sisters drs kit. But that last one might be better left til.xmas - mine only knows what to do as he has endured being sister's patient.

Love51 Sun 05-Jul-15 21:58:37

We have some fab caterpillar brand diggers, a bit bigger than hotwheels cars and waaay more fun. If you arent fussy about 3+ rating.

trilbydoll Sun 05-Jul-15 22:01:54

DD likes jigsaws, her little basket of plastic food, and her happyland people. At toddler groups she loves the little trampolines, any ride on toy, and pushing dolls around in prams.

Starlightbright1 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:17:22

Take n play train set, the track stays together so you don't spend all day rebuilding it. , musical instruments...Do you have a toy library near you? they are fab for changing toys

MyNameIsSuz Sun 05-Jul-15 22:18:24

Mine loves happyland too, the London bus and space rocket in particular. Also jigsaws, books, diggers, and a till and food - we pretend to do a lot of shopping!

ReluctantCamper Sun 05-Jul-15 22:21:56

Yep, duplo. Or happy land. Our martian moon house has done sterling service for 2 lively boys, and still going strong. Or a toy garage for all his cars, one with lots of ramps. Ds1s top toy was always his ride on, which has a weird kind of piano on the front. Unfortunately toys r us don't stock it any more...

OwlOffshore Mon 06-Jul-15 07:16:13

Thanks all. Really helpful. Does duplo last a few years? It seems quite expensive, even second hand.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 06-Jul-15 08:13:10

Yes, our childminder has lots and they all play with it, even the school age kids if it's out! Especially if you get the kits with car parts, house bits and people, they can use it for imaginary play too. We have a fire station set which has been played with loads, but most of the time he likes to build the tallest tower he possibly can... it's versatile.

whiteagle Mon 06-Jul-15 08:26:15

My DS2 loved small world toys - happy land et Al. The ElC garage was a huge hit too.

meglet Mon 06-Jul-15 08:50:26

duplo is very durable. I think we had one cracked green base plate after it was crushed under something but the rest of it is fine after 5 yrs.

shitebag Mon 06-Jul-15 16:39:15

I was just about to ask this too, my DD is 2.4yo and is not interested in any toys that we have but she does play with her brothers Minecraft figures hmm

I'm looking at trying some threading beads and maybe some Happy land stuff.

Thegreatunslept Mon 06-Jul-15 17:01:21

Have a look at fisher price little people products we have the city skyway and it gets played with daily.

purplesnail Mon 06-Jul-15 22:34:42

Hi, after my ds had his 2nd birthday he had so many toys he didnt seem that interested in a lot of it so I split it into 3 sets and started rotating them every 2 weeks which helped lots and also helped me see what he was really interested in.
he gas an aquadodle which he likes but loves it if I draw things for him, I got sone cheap cookie cutters and use some if those to draw round which he loves.
Do you go to a playgroup? After taking my ds I discovered he likes playfood and has no interest in happyland.
he also loves playdough and doing threading beads which he also likes sieting in coloured bowks or a egg box. He also loves posting things so have used empty boxes/plastic tubs and puts holes in to post various objects into. If he like doing things like that search toddler busy bags on pintrest/google for some great ideas.

slightlyconfused85 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:36:08

What about jigsaw puzzles? My dd is a few months older but loves these and can provide a lot of entertainment. Also happyland/small world, a picnic set for picnics with her toys, toy baby and accessories, books?

OwlOffshore Tue 07-Jul-15 18:55:02

Ooh, that city skyway thing looks fab! Jigsaws also worth a try.

Many thanks all.

TenPinkFairies Tue 07-Jul-15 18:56:52

Lego. Normal sized. Ds has loved it since turning 2. And dh's old playmobil.

Kiwiinkits Wed 08-Jul-15 23:37:46

Our duplo has been the most popular toy here for about a year now. Most popular by far. My girls (now 3 and 4.5) ask to play with it every day. They love it. You do need to have a big enough collection to make it versatile - i.e. not just a few pieces. So start building your collection now.
Don't buy small lego if you think you might have another baby because it is the first thing that will go into a baby's mouth or up its nose.

Kiwiinkits Wed 08-Jul-15 23:39:01

Little People also gets played with regularly. Again, it's a volume thing. There are enough Little People 'activities' that they can create whole stories/cities/scenarios.

MiaowTheCat Fri 10-Jul-15 08:19:40

I have a young 2 year old and a young 3 year old...

Duplo, play kitchen, happyland and wooden train set are the big things around here. My 2 year old is very into trying to dismantle and reassemble things to see how they work - she's very very mechanically minded so tends to gravitate to that kind of thing.

You could get some mega blocks as a half-way house to see how it goes down... there's always oodles of them for sale cheaply second hand on the selling sites or in the charity shops (can normally get the table which is a nice base to build onto dirt cheap). Most of our duplo I've picked up second hand in charity shops or grandparents have bought for christmas presents and we've built up a stock of it that way.

I wouldn't trust my 2 year old with Lego yet - but she's a bit of a deathseeker!

DoveOfPeace Fri 10-Jul-15 23:38:29

Just place marking smile

Alanna1 Fri 10-Jul-15 23:42:10

My 2 yo and 3 yo play with duplo lots, their buggies with babies, shells they have collected. The 2 yo likes putting things in "her" bags.

RobotHamster Sat 11-Jul-15 00:16:19

Duplo. Duplo. Duplo!

If they like it, (not much for a small set) then it's worth it. Easy to add to with birthday presents etc.

It lasts. 8yo DS has obviously moved on to lego, but still loves building enormous structures with the Duplo (we have a lot)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now