Talk

Advanced search

milk supply decreasing.. Ds refuses formula!

(23 Posts)
heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 10:34:47

Ds is 2 weeks old now. He was born 4 weeks early and hasn't gotten the hang of breast feeding yet so I have been expressing
I've always had a large milk supply, expressing at least 100-140ml every 3 hours (I've been stocking in fridge)
Anyway I went out on Thursday for a few hours and couldn't express. Since then I've noticed my breasts becoming very hard and lumpy and I've only been able to express between 60 and 80ml.
I've been trying to top up with actimel but ds just spits it all back out!
Help!?

CrispyFern Sun 05-Jul-15 10:37:14

Can to look for a local breastfeeding service to advise you on your latch?

Eminado Sun 05-Jul-15 10:39:50

Try hop in a hot shower or bath and run warm water gently over your breasts and try to massage out all the lumps.

Then just keep offering the breast or trying to pump as its the sucking that stimulates supply.

Keep v well hydrated and eat well.

Re formula my DD outright refused aptamil and when i tasted it envy i did find it tasted v different to breastmilk. She only accepted Hipp in the end so maybe try something else?

AntiHop Sun 05-Jul-15 10:52:56

Definitely speak to your local breast feeding support. Also try skin to skin feeding. Him just wearing a nappy and you not wearing a top so your skin is touching. It's supposed to help increase milk supply. Cover him with a blanket to keep him warm.

heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 12:46:39

I'll look into that crispy.
Thanks eminado, he was drinking the little pre-made bottles of aptimal in the hospital fine though..

BertrandRussell Sun 05-Jul-15 12:54:41

Just because you can't express doesn't necessarily mean your supply is decreasing. Is he feeding well? The usual wet and dirty nappies?

heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 13:26:16

He's not getting enough. I'm having to try express every hour because he's hungry all the time but totally refuses formula milk

PotteringAlong Sun 05-Jul-15 13:29:00

Just out of interest, how do you know he's not getting enough? His stomach is tiny; feeding a lot is completely normal.

Lyndie Sun 05-Jul-15 13:31:06

Could you stop expressing and just keep him on the breast lots?

BertrandRussell Sun 05-Jul-15 13:32:17

Have you tried just getting into bed with him and letting him feed all the time? He's still very little- your supply might not be fully established yet. The best possible way to increase your supply is to let the baby suckle. If he's behaving as if he's hungry all the time, he is probably doing what his instinct is telling him to do to increase your supply.

PlumFairy2014 Sun 05-Jul-15 19:37:21

I would try and solve why he isn't getting the hang of it, is it a latching issue?

Not sure of at 4 weeks early he would have been in Nicu? My DD was in Nicu and it took a day of latching attemps (with help!) and trying to keep her awake but she got it. She did then stay attached for most of 24hrs.... And feed a lot in the first few weeks, but it is very rewarding and now she's 8 months I'm glad we did it.

Skin to skin and using a sling also helped us a lot.

Congratulations too! smile

justwondering72 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:01:15

As the pps have said it's very very normal for a baby his age to want to feed constantly for long periods : maybe he's making up for lost time ;) get comfy on the couch / bed and nurse away. Don't watch the clock or try to limit his feeds. Keep an eye on his nappies, if he's peeing and pooping then he's getting plenty milk. You can do it !

heatherxo Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:30

I'm not breast feeding, he won't latch and gets frustrated easily when I try to latch him. I am still trying though, it would be much easier to bf rather than express.
So for the moment I'm having to express every few hours for a feed.
I done as a pp said and had a hot shower earlier and I have been able to express a little more! smile

Eminado Mon 06-Jul-15 08:13:21

That's good - keep going!

A bfeeding counsellor could really help you with your latch though, and suggest alternative positions for feeding - so
Please see one or call a bfeeding helpline.

gamerchick Mon 06-Jul-15 08:18:05

You really need to get your latch sorted out. Expressing isn't enough to get your supply up and when he hits a growth spurt, usually he'll be feeding around the clock. Hard I would imagine if you're pumping.

BertrandRussell Mon 06-Jul-15 08:50:36

You don't say whether you've got othr children to look after or whwt support you have, but if at all possible, try to spend a day in bed, just you, the baby, some books,the TV remote, lots of drinks and snacks. Relax, rest, and let him feed all the time. It will help with your supply, he can get he hang of latching on, and you will get a much needed rest. Honestly, it can work wonders.

heatherxo Mon 06-Jul-15 09:35:18

I'll see what bf support they have in my area. Thanks everyone

Gingerbreadlady1 Wed 08-Jul-15 00:27:38

I had this with my 6wk old. Make sure you express between 12-4am as thats when your hormone levels are highest apparently. It did the trick for me but supply still varies. Good luck & if you do want to bf keep trying, we had a nightmare but now much easier, as if something just clicked, and much easier for you!

cleoteacher Wed 08-Jul-15 09:38:41

I had this. My dd took a month to accept a bottle. Keep trying as eventually they do take it. Try different times of the day, I found she was much more likely to take it at some times than others.

Have you tried giving it to her after a breastfeed? That's how I first got my dd to take a bottle and then slowly phased out the feed first.

Have you tried dr browns? I spent a fortune on different bottles so I know it's annoying when buying another one which could be a waste of money. But I found this was the only one she would take and others have said the same for their babies apparently something to do with air flow.

Maybe give her your expressed milk in a bottle if she doesn't like formula? My dd doesn't like expressed milk which is annoying as wanted to breastfeed only.

heatherxo Thu 09-Jul-15 20:29:26

Hi cleo. He is being fed ebm through bottle, but I'm trying to get him just to bf.
He is so used to the hospital cow and gate teats that he's being really fussy with my tommy tippee bottles though.
Hv helped today with trying to latch him- he's finally starting to try, yay!

Zampa Thu 09-Jul-15 20:38:24

Similar situation here with an early baby who bottle feeds EBM.

My expressed supply decreased from 400ml a day to 120ml a day after I suffered from blocked ducts (hard, lumpy, painful breasts as you described). I cleared the blockage with hot compresses and massage after a couple of days but my supply has only gone back up to 200ml a day.

Today my GP (on recommendation from my baby's Neonatal nurse) had prescribed Domperidone. Hopefully it'll work!

heatherxo Thu 09-Jul-15 22:11:17

Thanks zampa, glad to hear your supply is increasing again smile maybe I'll talk more with hv about it.
She's currently looking into getting me help from bf advisors. Just relieved that someone is finally helping me, mw in postnatal ward weren't very helpful at all

paxtecum Thu 09-Jul-15 22:16:54

Drinking fennel tea will dramatically increase your milk supply.
Drink mugs of it throughout the day.
Most supermarkets and health shops sell.

Fenugreek also increase milk supply but fennel tea is so easy to drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now