Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to use a bed guard on a cot bed for an 8 week old?

(8 Posts)
snarferson Sat 04-Jul-15 19:31:18

Hi all. I've been given a beautiful sleigh cot. I didn't realise until i got it that it only has one side. The folks I got it off apologised and said it was lost but suggested I may be able to use it with a bed guard. DD is only 8 weeks so I'm wondering if this would be safe. If it's not i will just pass the cot on to someone who may be able to use it for an older child. Does anybody know? smile

321TeachUs Sat 04-Jul-15 19:36:14

I wouldn't. I hope it was free?

fhdl34 Sat 04-Jul-15 19:37:49

You would only be able to use it for a very short time as soon your baby will be rolling around and pulling up to standing. Bed guards usually say not for use with children younger than 18 months.
I personally wouldn't risk it. My husband fitted one incorrectly on hospital and my 20 month old DD was trapped down the side between the guard and mattress, she could wriggle and cry to let me know, a baby cannot

fhdl34 Sat 04-Jul-15 19:38:08

Sorry, on holiday, not hospital!

snarferson Sat 04-Jul-15 19:38:17

Yes it was free grin

hhhhhhh Tue 07-Jul-15 13:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummaV Tue 07-Jul-15 13:43:46

I have a bed guard on my bed for when dd (12 weeks) comes in with me in the morning for an hour or two, it's just a precaution to stop her falling off the bed. I wouldn't use it as the main source of protection for a cot.

BrianButterfield Tue 07-Jul-15 13:47:07

I would attach it to your bed. A bed guard is dangerous for non mobile children as they are not snug enough to the edge of the bed and ca child could get trapped in the gap easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now