Talk

Advanced search

4 Year Old With Too Much To Say

(4 Posts)
TooMuchJD Tue 30-Jun-15 12:04:53

DS is 4.5ys, at pre-school full time and never stops talking (which is great as his language skills are amazing) but if I am trying to have a conversation with anyone he will butt in, talk over us, repeat the word "Mummy" over & over until I answer etc.

How do I begin to teach him the finer points of polite conversation as, so far, asking him to wait/ignoring him/telling him to be quiet for a min have failed?

(I know he is only small but (D)H getting really arsey about it now, really gets him down that DS insists that his voice is the most important - his words not mine)

Pootles2010 Tue 30-Jun-15 12:15:23

One of my friends has a great way of dealing with this - if the mum is talking, her ds knows to come and place his hand on his mum's wrist, so she knows he would like to say something - seems to work quite well.

LittleLionMansMummy Tue 30-Jun-15 15:00:16

Watching with interest as I have one of these and could have written the op! All tactics so far have failed miserably... his enthusiasm, confidence and general knowledge/ vocabulary are a delight, but it's just 'too much'!

TooMuchJD Tue 30-Jun-15 15:30:08

He's does great at nursery, has recently discovered the joy of phonics and that he can read simple words - but now feels he has to prove this to me all the time.
I had 6 months off with him as a baby and then only worked two days until recently so we have spent a lot of time together alone.
TBH I would rather chat to him than DH but that's a whole other issue smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now