Talk

Advanced search

Excess hair on DD

(14 Posts)
summermommy Sun 28-Jun-15 22:21:48

Hi everyone,

I am very worried about excess hair on DD's back, shoulders, upper arms, forehead... She's now 2,5 months old. Both my husband and I have Caucasian background so I didn't expect her to be hairless, however neither of us was this hairy at birth. I'm worried because the hair doesn't seem to be subsiding. DD has very white skin and the body hair is soft, dark and noticeable. I can't understand if this is that lanugo thing or it's just the genetics and it's going to stay with her forever. I did some research on the internet and found out that in some nations such as Indians it is common to remove babies' excess hair when they are very small and it never grows back. Any tips would be much appreciated (I hope some Indian Moms will read this). Although not sure if I should go for it...
I myself have suffered a lot because of excess hair and don't want my beautiful daughter to go through the same. Especially she's going to grow up in Britain were most kids don't have any body hair so I wouldn't like her to develop complexes and feel unhappy. Kids can be very cruel to each other...

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 28-Jun-15 22:25:48

Babies can be born with some of their lanugo still on. DD's on her forehead didn't go away completely until she was quite old, about 4 or 5 months from memory. It's gone now though.

I wouldn't worry until she's at least 6 months old. Removing hair from a tiny baby seems silly especially as there is absolutely no way it would prevent it from growing back.

westcountrywoman Sun 28-Jun-15 22:32:54

Lots of new babies can be quite hairy.
2.5 months is still very young, I wouldn't worry yet.

Holden10 Mon 29-Jun-15 07:41:54

My 1 month old son is the same, I had imagined it was just lanugo at this point.

GinUpGirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:40:02

It will fall out in a couple of months. Sit tight!

summermommy Tue 30-Jun-15 23:13:54

Thank you all. Apparently, I need to be patient...

Newtobecomingamum Wed 01-Jul-15 12:31:58

My baby was hairy for a good few months, back and ears mainly lol. It all then just drops out

halloweensquish Wed 01-Jul-15 19:57:25

Yup - we had dark hairy ears and back - all gone now and she's turning blonde!! shock

AmandaTanen Wed 01-Jul-15 20:01:22

My little one had lots of fine hair, it fell out over 6 months, the last bits to go were tufts on her ears, presumably because they had little contact with anything to cause it to fall out.

monkeyfacegrace Wed 01-Jul-15 20:02:49

Aww I love hairy little babies.

Mine have all been hairy. My youngest is now 4 months and has lots all down her back. It's all soft and snuggly smile

Elfina Wed 01-Jul-15 20:09:23

My darling girl was furby! She had these actual TUFTS on the top of each ear! She's much less hairy now (2.7), but she's inherited the hairiness from my mum's side (very blonde but hairy), with my dark hair and olive skin. She's properly stunning, but did worry that I'd had a wolf-cub in the beginning grin

paxtecum Wed 01-Jul-15 20:14:30

This thread is lovely.
My DD and DGDs have short, fine hairs all over their backs.

neversleepagain Wed 01-Jul-15 21:08:05

My twins were 6 weeks early and twin1 was a furball! She is now nearly three and it has gone.

summermommy Wed 01-Jul-15 23:05:48

Oh I didn't know this was such a common thing! I shouldn't panicking smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now