Talk

Advanced search

Feeding toddler at a festival

(12 Posts)
Mouseymum Thu 25-Jun-15 16:43:21

Hi all,

I'm going to 2 festivals this summer - DD will be 15/16 mo.
I am trying to think how feeding her will work.

She normally has 3x milk per day - 2 bfs and a cup of cow's milk for when we're out and about. How to get her that cow's milk? Don't want to carry warm milk around all day. Might have to do an extra bf instead but don't particularly want to in public! She's not had formula so not sure about follow on milk cartons...

For breakfast, we're in b and bs, so can bring her cereal with us. Can also bring a few pre packed meals but debating how I'm going to get fresh fruit and veg, yogurts etc into her over the weekends - do I just let her eat junk and accept it's only for a short time?! She's a bit old for puree pouches?

Any tips from those who've done it before gratefully received - thanks!

bobajob Thu 25-Jun-15 16:46:45

I'd relax about it, get some UHT follow on cartons and pouches/jars of food and don't sweat the small stuff.

Thurlow Thu 25-Jun-15 16:50:34

Junk. Just go for the junk grin

I wouldn't stress too much about feeding her meals at that age. Pack some fruit that might last and will be ok warm, otherwise get some of the fruit bars and the like from the baby aisle.

Personally I'd just let her eat what you're eating. There's plenty of food at a festival that she can eat, nowadays there's such a wider range than just a burger (though a burger will be absolutely fine!). Just make sure you have plenty of snacky food so that you have something to feed her if she is that hungry.

But part of the joy of going away is that you're not doing all the yoghurts and veg and all that malarkey.

Laquila Thu 25-Jun-15 17:06:15

In the nicest possible way, I think you're probably over-worrying smile

If you're really worried then buy a couple of little cartons of milk, and one of those little insulated cool bags and an ice pack - ask the B&B to refridgerate the milk overnight and keep the ice pack in the freezer, ready for you to take.

Could also do the same with squeezy yoghurt pouches.

Take some packs of Goodies baby crisp-type things, some raisins, a couple of apples, pears and a banana.

Voila smile

Mouseymum Thu 25-Jun-15 18:49:08

Thanks all, that's helpful. I thought I was probably overthinking it. Ahh and I totally forgot about the squeezy yogurt pouches! They will be my saviour :-)

waterrat Thu 25-Jun-15 20:04:23

Every stall you pass will have milk...think of all the tea and coffee they are making....

Best ever portable toddler food is pasta and pesto...put in tupperware and they eat it cold...

I have to say I would recommend assuming that you bring enough food for her as festival food is expensive. ..and kids are happy with such basic stuff

Hardtoknow Thu 25-Jun-15 20:10:47

It's only a weekend! Bananas are the ultimate portable snack; if you're really worried about fruit, take some pouches (if you look beyond the baby aisle, you'll see Ella's etc have cottoned on & now sell fruit pouches for children & adults in the snack aisle); anywhere selling tea & coffee will have milk which they may give you but, if not, will sell you. It is one of those things which seems daunting but will turn out to be very simple. You will also realise your DC won't spontaneously combust if they eat a chip, crisp or similar ... something I had to realise when PFB was a similar age and, after a crash had closed the A1 and we finally got moving after a couple of hours & stopped as soon as we saw the next services which happened to be McDonald's.

OriginalHugsy Thu 25-Jun-15 20:58:35

Can I ask what festivals? I would love to take DD but don't know what might be good for a toddler

Mouseymum Thu 25-Jun-15 21:16:07

Thanks all. Pasta, pesto and bananas it is!
And true, the tea and coffee stalls can just sell me milk! Hurrah!
OriginalHugsy I am going to Indietracks and Greenbelt. I've seen plenty of toddlers at both before, and took DD when she was 3/4mo. Greenbelt has a parent and child tent, where you can change, feed, and be handed a cup of tea by a nice volunteer!

Lonelylass1218 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:21:03

Buy some stuff and ask b + b to keep it in their fridge for you and take a cool bag during the day. Take rice cakes and organix crisps with you for snacks. Am sure stalls at the festival will have cow milk or juice. Relax and enjoy yourself hope you have a lovely time.

CurlsLDN Thu 25-Jun-15 21:48:32

Could she do without the milk in the daytime, and the yoghurt? The guidelines say that kids age 1-5 need two servings of dairy a day, it's a holiday, so how about milk on her cereal at the b&b, and an ice cream later on?

CurlsLDN Thu 25-Jun-15 21:48:55

Sorry, meant to link to guidelines
www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/lifestages/feeding-your-toddlerpre-school-child.html?start=1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now