Talk

Advanced search

Travel cot used as permanent bed?

(19 Posts)
Willow33 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:36:44

There is a shortage of space in our bedroom and our baby has outgrown the moses basket v quickly. So we have a travel cot we could use. Could that be used all the time if we got a good mattress?

Cassie258 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:39:28

I think the only issue with it is the mattress on travel cots are not supportive enough so yes, if you manage to find a good mattress there is no problem grin

Magicalmrmistofeles Wed 24-Jun-15 15:42:24

The actual floor space of a cot doesn't take up much more space than a proper cot assuming you aren't going to fold it up and down each day?

Bending to get hte baby out from the bottom of a cot won't do your back much good as they get bigger.

Heels99 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:45:09

Its The mattress that is the issue its meant for occasional use not every day use. Insufficient support for baby's growing spine etc

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 24-Jun-15 15:46:53

I used a travel cot as a permanent bed from newborn (in bassinet but)to 13 months, when ds was trying to throw himself out of it and went into a bed.
I got a custom made mattress as I couldn't find one that would fit it for about £50. Worked really well.
I hate bars on cots and we had limited space so thought this was a great idea. Got a lot of strange remarks from family members but i didn't care.
I also didn't "decorate the nursery" as we used the spare room to store our chest of drawers an other stuff to make space for the cot.
We have moved now to a much bigger house but I might still use the travel cot if we have another baby.

Willow33 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:34:24

Ok will look into dimensions that we have space for but no we wouldn't fold it up after every use.
where can these good mattresses be bought from?

SpendSpendSpend Wed 24-Jun-15 17:36:46

Travel cots are actually quite big and im sure they are bigger than a cot

Xmasbaby11 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:36:58

I used travel cot in our bedroom for our dd until she was 15mo. I just bought a mattress, I think from amazon. it's no different from putting them in a proper cot, as far as I can see.

trilbydoll Wed 24-Jun-15 17:37:15

Baby mattresses online do made to measure mattresses, I got several foam ones for dc2. They have a whole range of materials, I'm not sure if one of them would be supportive enough?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 24-Jun-15 18:02:17

I used baby mattress online, I got a pocket sprung one about 10cms thick.

Willow33 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:12:51

Ok so 10 cm thick is good?

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Wed 24-Jun-15 18:15:26

Try kiddies kingdom. I got a mattress from there for my travel cot for about £30. Was 7cms thick I think, and that was thick enough

Kent1982 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:21:32

Hi I'm doing this at moment and baby is happy he can see me through the mesh and sleeping great I bought the mattress from mamas & papas. I don't struggle lifting him etc its suiting us nicely whilst he moves to cot bed in his room.

legohurtswhenyoustandonit Wed 24-Jun-15 18:24:14

I used the bassinet bit of a travel cot for a while between my DCs growing out of the moses basket and moving in to their own room.

EpitomeOfFrump Wed 24-Jun-15 18:26:30

I used a travel cot for my DD as she kept banging her head on the bars of the wooden cot. She loved being able to see me through the mesh and was lovely being able to watch her too.
i only stopped using it when she was particularly ill after eating tuna pasta and it was an absolute bastard trying to get all the bits of tuna out of the mesh. She was about 14 months old then and just went into her own bed.

RedandYellow24 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:28:15

The are quite big you will save cm,s if at all. Least with a cot you have storage space under neath even once it's at low level

Imeg Thu 25-Jun-15 10:16:46

I went away several times to visit relatives and found the travel cot really wasn't good for my back compared to the crib on legs we had or the cot with the base raised.
I suppose it depends a bit how many times you are likely to have to lift them out in the night: it's not so bad now when we go away as he sleeps all night (15 months) so just have to put him in once and get him out once.

AndThisIsTrue Thu 25-Jun-15 16:31:44

Travel cots are pretty big, have you looked at Ikea cots, they are smaller than "standard" cots, I'm pretty sure ours is at least the same size as a travel cot if not smaller.
We used a travel cot with a proper mattress at SIL and DS woke up nearly every hour as he kept getting stuck between the mattress and mesh side as it stretched when he leant on it and created a gap.

HenriettaTurkey Thu 25-Jun-15 20:13:21

Having my baby in a travel cot permanently would seriously knacker my back. They're much lower than regular cots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now