Talk

Advanced search

MIL rant

(7 Posts)
beth1987 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:30:32

Just needed a vent and an opinion.
My MIL tonight said you're lucky you will never be short of people to look after my DS.
He is 4 months, my OH works for them 6am till 830-9pm, my mother lives about 100 miles away and I'm very fortunate in that she comes up for about half a day once a week, in this time I get about 2 hours to go and ride my horse. My MIL most days watches my DS for about half an hour whilst I get their cows in (she would do this if I wasn't there). I do everything myself in house/garden.
AIBU in thinking this comment was a bit odd?

beth1987 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:32:01

OH works 7 days a week

Thomasjames2007 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:20:10

I totally get you my MIL makes strange comments also! My little one is 17 weeks and a first grandchild on both sides. My MIL bummed and blowed about how much she would take him/babysit etc and so far she has taken him on 2 walks!! My poor Mum does the lions share (I work from home).

I'm assuming you're from a farming background? I know lots of farming families and it's very much all hands on deck re work and childcare but it sounds like that's not the case here and you handle most of the childcare?

I would usually recommend that you talk to your DH but that hasn't worked in my case (mine is just embarrassed) so he won't discuss it really.

It's not that she doesn't offer that bothers me its all the "talk" that gets up my nose!! I'm sure you're the same.

beth1987 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:23:58

Thomasjames you are spot on I don't mind doing it, but it's the 'talk'. I'm not from that background but I am involved. She is put out cos I breastfed and can't feed him, but has not got involved in any nappy changing etc.

Thomasjames2007 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:36:21

If she says it again maybe could you say "well I need cover on..." Then use that time to have a nap! Thats what I'm thinking but on the other hand I wouldn't want to leave DS when I'm not sure how comfortable they would be (for his sake).

lexyloub Tue 23-Jun-15 09:53:33

From another perspective could she be hinting that she wants you to ask her babysit? If your bf she may feel like you'd decline her offer of babysitting obviously because she can't feed him. She's probably desperate to have him but waiting til you ask as some mum's don't like to be away from their baby for a long time.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Tue 23-Jun-15 10:58:54

Agree with lexyloub she may be hinting at you to ask her to babysit more. My MIL has never offered, but moaned to my mum that I won't let her babysit. My parents have babysat once and they offered (DD is nearly 1). I'm not comfortable asking people (especially mil) to look after my DD, but wouldn't necessarily turn them down. Like you, I don't know how comfortable they'd be, especially as mil always seems awkward and admits to being tense around DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now