Talk

Advanced search

Activities for 3 month old and tv

(9 Posts)
Kent1982 Mon 22-Jun-15 08:39:58

Hello I have a baby it's my first and I have very limited knowledge of babies really.

Every day I do song singing sometimes baby massage lots of waving toys and practicing holding them, nudey time and generally talking to encourage him to make noises. I take him for a good 5 mile ride in his buggy at least 3 times a week but what's concerning me is TV.

I don't normally have it on now someone's mentioned the house is really quiet which it it. Do you all think that babies benefit a lot from hearing the voices on it all the time. Coz if they do I can spend more time in that room with it on. I thought I was doing my best but now I'm questioning if he needs more noise in his life other than just listening to me.

Heels99 Mon 22-Jun-15 08:43:35

No. He does not need tv. But nothing wrong with playing some music, story CDs etc occasionally.

Supervet Mon 22-Jun-15 08:45:23

Hi Kent,
Babies don't need constant noise or tv. You sound like you are do I g great, if you chatter, sing or whatever during the day please don't worry

Iggly Mon 22-Jun-15 08:47:14

Why don't you take him out more - I would be going out every day even if for a short wall. Breaks up the day and stops you thinking quite so much about being entertainer.

bakingtins Mon 22-Jun-15 08:52:02

No. He needs you (or another caregiver) talking to him, reacting to his facial expressions, copying the noises he makes, commenting on what is happening around you. Random people talking to each other on television won't help. If you want to watch telly for a bit that's fine but it's not going to benefit your baby. Are you struggling to fill your days? I found going to a group every day really helped, though I think they are often for the mother's benefit as much as the child. Local libraries and churches often run free or low cost groups which you can drop in to, so you are not committed every week but can get out for a bit of adult company and some of the nursery rhymes, singing, different toys type of stimulation.

redsquareyellowsquare Mon 22-Jun-15 08:53:51

It is really tough being a first time Mum and questioning yourself constantly, but you sound PERFECT!

TV is not good for babies, they can't process what they are seeing/hearing, it is very overstimulating for them.

There is research (sorry can't find the link) that says that they can't process background noise so it hinders their speech development. The only noise they need at this age is your voice. That is not to say you should worry about listening to the radio etc for your own benefit, just don't do it for your babies!

Babies actually need very little 'entertainment', if you chat to them a bit you are doing exactly the right thing. Google 'RIE parenting' for some reassurance and ideas.

Kent1982 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:09:39

I don't feel so bad now, thanks phew

BlackCatGirl Mon 22-Jun-15 10:11:19

Sounds like you are doing everything I am with my 3 month old. I'm finding it an odd age as she is really alert and interested in everything, but too young to play properly. I've bought her loads of toys but she's not really that interested in them yet. She's never happier than when I'm singing and talking to her grin

I have to admit that I do have the TV on in the background sometimes blush she doesn't pay any attention yet.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Mon 22-Jun-15 10:29:02

Sounds like you're being lovely smile

I don't watch daytime TV but always used to have radio 4 (so, lots of talking) on all day if I was home alone. I stopped doing that when dd was born as I thought it wouldn't help her to have the constant but indistinguishable noise.

I just took up giving her a running commentary on life, instead..... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now