Why did nobody warn me about getting ill with a baby?

(17 Posts)
splendide Sat 20-Jun-15 15:18:39

Yes I probably should have used my imagination but my god! The last 24 hours have been among the worst of my life. Norovirus in sole charge of a 7 month old really is cruel and unusual punishment sad

Boobsofsteel Sat 20-Jun-15 15:19:31

It's hellish, hugs to you x

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 20-Jun-15 15:21:33

It is awful. DD and I both had norivirus at the same time when she was about 5 months old and DH was away with work for a week. No family around, nearest were 150 miles away. Hell on earth.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

AwfulBeryl Sat 20-Jun-15 15:24:55

It is shit. thanks hope you feel better soon.

mrsmugoo Sat 20-Jun-15 15:26:47

Oh dear, you have my sympathy! thanksthanks

My DH was recently away for 10 days and I got tonsillitis with a 14 month old. It was hell.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 20-Jun-15 15:26:49

Dreadful, isn't it? I'm just glad it didn't happen to me until DS1 was nearly 2 - and that was bad enough - both of us had the Evil Virus from Hell (in fact, so did DH, and MIL, and she passed it to BIL - it was That Bad). It was some sort of adenovirus - DS1 had the abdo pain and was dreadfully lethargic and whingy - I got the full gut impact as well (both ends), and the others varied between DS and my condition.
Lasted 5 days. It was hideous sad

Shakey1500 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:27:48

Oh I had this sad

Ds was about the same age, Dh working abroad. Had the day from hell and a huge pile of vom clothes from both Ds and I. There was no point in having anyone to help as would pass on.

I recall DH ringing from Paris in the evening saying he was pissed off as it was his day off and he couldn't decide which Parisian restaurant to eat at!!! Ermm excuse me??!! angry angry angry

splendide Sat 20-Jun-15 15:30:01

I feel better than I did. No way could I use my phone earlier or last night. I've had to throw out two sets of pyjama bottoms (TMI sorry). Oh the horror. Still a nice early night and big sleep I'll be right. Oh yeah, no fucking chance.

splendide Sat 20-Jun-15 15:33:43

Thank you for all the kind messages. I guess most people have this at some point. Urgh. They should show a speeded up video of my night last night to horny teenagers to encourage contraception.

TwerkingSpinster Sat 20-Jun-15 15:40:14

Lowest points of my life so far has been illness with kids. The fact that society kind of doesn't give a shit about sick mothers adds to the whole self pity parade. Why cant drs do home visits to mothers trapped at home with no help!?

DustBunnyFarmer Sat 20-Jun-15 15:44:25

I recall my 7 yo sis being sent round to neighbours we barely knew to scrounge for dinner when me (8 yo), my Dad and Mum all had a D&V bug at the same time. Trying to co-ordinate use of the single loo at the same time was, um, interesting.

Being ill with small children or babies is hideous. I came down with labyrinthitis whilst DH was away on business once. Not good with 2 smalls to wrangle. Luckily my neighbour is an absolute bloody saint and helped with school runs, fed my boys when I was at my worst etc.

There's always the fear of domino illness as well, when you each go down with it in turn and you feel like you are living in a plague house/should have a mark on your front door.

Camper12234 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:06:42

It's one of my biggest fears! We've been lucky and never had a sickness bug at the same time as the kids but I remember making a dash to the loo to be sick whilst dd was still latched on! On the positive note, the bugs come around less often as the children get older, so fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Glad you are on the mend

RandomMess Sat 20-Jun-15 18:09:29

Poor you.

Hate to warn you but when you're really ill and they're not and bouncing off the ceiling and walls that is even worse I discovered sad

SilverBirchWithout Sat 20-Jun-15 18:20:31

My worse and most guilt ridden parental memory is a Christmas Day with 4 year old son, both DH and I had proper Flu, with muscle aches, shivers, fierce temperatures and vomiting. We got up in 1 hour shifts to look after DS, it was almost impossible. He was fed crisps, quality street and a cheese sandwich for Xmas lunch.

ILs were due to visit (& could have come and help look after DS) they cancelled as didn't want to catch flu themselves shock

Latium123 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:36:23

Oh no, you have my absolute sympathy. It is a real shock isn't it? I had norovirus when my DD was 6 weeks old. I was so so ill and absolutely terrified that she would catch it too so I took to cleaning every available surface in between bouts of vomiting and scrubbed my hands until they were red raw repeatedly. Of course DD was absolutely fine and didn't catch it (thank you BFing) but I was just so scared that she was too little to cope with it.

It really brings into sharp focus that you can no longer prioritise your own needs as a parent, doesn't it?

Hope you're better soon.

manchestermummy Sat 20-Jun-15 19:48:42

Oh it's awful, truly.

A couple of years ago I was up all night with dd2 who was having terrible constipation problems (resolved now thankfully). I was due to be going to a meeting a few hundred miles away necessitating a very early start. At 5 am I made the decision I wasn't going to go, but I would manage work. Finally, I got to sleep. At 5.30, dd1 came into the room complaining of feeling sick. Mercifully she made it to the bathroom...

Phoned work, explained I wasn't going anywhere as had a sick dd1 (given that I wasn't due in work anyway made more sense for me to stay off). By noon, I started with it.

Dd and I were getting drinks of water for each other (bless her she was 5!).

It was hideous.

AntiHop Sat 20-Jun-15 20:23:11

Yes its horrendous. Had a nasty stomach bug a few months ago when dd was about 6 months old. Very difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now