Talk

Advanced search

do 2 year olds benefit from playdates

(14 Posts)
purplesnail Sat 20-Jun-15 15:03:58

Hi, DS1 is 2, we go to lots of playgroups and hes not yet into playing with others, he's quite reserved and will often not want to get involved with something if theres a few other there, eg. going on a slide. He will happily share toys that aren't his and makes no fuss if something is snatched ftom him.
We don't do playdates ( never been invited, usually meet at groups or the park) which I'm not too bothered about as I'm sure we will make up for it once he's at school but also think it would be nice sometimes. Just wondered what peoples opinions are about playdates at such a young age, is it really important for social developement or are playgroups just as good?

Elllimam Sat 20-Jun-15 18:20:49

My 2.5 year old has just started really interacting with other kids. We do a lot of outings with other kids but I feel he is now starting to get interested in them.

Elllimam Sat 20-Jun-15 18:21:41

To be honest it's as much for me being able to chat to other adults though.

Springtimemama Sat 20-Jun-15 18:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 20-Jun-15 18:24:59

My 19 month old loves having friends round to play but she's generally very sociable anyway. I don't know if it benefits her as such but she enjoys it (and I benefit from some adult company!)

Mehitabel6 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:26:03

I think it is good from that age- different from groups + if they see you being sociable they think it normal to do the same.

Mehitabel6 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:26:44

Much nicer for adults to get together with a friend than a group.

Mehitabel6 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:27:16

I meant with a child- groups can be hard.

JohnnyDeppsfuturewife Sat 20-Jun-15 22:37:48

I think it's beneficial, children can start learning about sharing toys, taking turns and playing alongside other children. It's also nice for them to play with new toys.

purplesnail Mon 22-Jun-15 08:23:20

Thanks, will give it a go soon

Springtimemama Mon 22-Jun-15 12:11:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GingerDoodle Mon 22-Jun-15 20:24:22

My df had a group of friends the same age and has at least one play date of some description each week - I think it helps building bonds and to learn to deal with other people (plus it's company for me!)

teacherlikesapples Sat 04-Jul-15 07:29:08

Toddlers learn a great deal by observing, so even when they are not joining in or playing directly with their peers, they are still learning by watching and listening to them. Playdates definitely are of great value, even if he only plays alongside the other children, as it gives the opportunity to gradually build social confidence. Being in a group, and the faced paced social interaction that happens there, is a different (but also necessary) skill. Any opportunities you have for playgroup & playdates are definitely a good idea!

PosterEh Sat 04-Jul-15 07:32:28

I think it's good for them to learn to share their own toys and to interact with friends in their own space but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if we didn't have them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now