Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much / how often calpol for 5m old?

(15 Posts)
MyFirstFire Wed 17-Jun-15 15:55:58

DD is 5m and teething. Not proper tooth-breaking skin teething, just the build up.

The last couple of nights we've resorted to calpol to get her to sleep and really could have done with giving her a 1am dose too. But I'm worried about using it too much.

How long can I give a bedtime dose of calpol for - can I do that regularly? And a middle of the night dose if required? Don't use it in the day as can generally distract her from the pain and she will nap in the carrier skin-to-skin, but I can't do that at night because I need to lie down / sleep too!

Wisdom please MNers! Thanks smile

MyFirstFire Wed 17-Jun-15 19:35:21

Bump and hopeful for advice smile

NickyEds Wed 17-Jun-15 19:55:47

Bottle says 2.5ml up to 4 times a day with 4 hours between doses so the 1am one would depend on bedtime. Three days is supposed to be the maximum number of days to give it. Have you tried Anbesol? Are you certain it's teething?-Sometimes ear infections present in a similar way.

MyFirstFire Wed 17-Jun-15 20:08:47

Thanks Nicky. Think it's teething because the powders do seem to work sometimes, need to try the gel again - had a real hard time getting it on her gums before, seemed to mostly go on her tongue!
Three days isn't very long sad too tired to cope with the bedtime screaming, she's up every hour or so as it is - usually get a 2 or 3 hour block when we put her down at 8, can't bear losing that sad

electionfatigue Wed 17-Jun-15 20:36:45

Weigh her and give 15mg/kg four times a day or 20mg/kg as a one off dose.

So, if she weighs say 6kg, you can give 15 x 6 = 90 mg four times a day. If you're using the under 6 stuff which is usually 120mg/5ml, that is 3.75mls. Children that are heavy for their age often don't get enough by going on the standard dosing on the bottle.

By the way I hope you're not paying for branded calpol, there's nothing in it that isn't in the generic stuff which is much cheaper.

BlueThursday Wed 17-Jun-15 20:47:01

Does she take a dummy? I find putting the gel on that good for getting round the gums

NickyEds Wed 17-Jun-15 21:14:14

Anbesol is a liquid rather than a gel so it's much easier to apply. I've always found that the gels just slip around then get swallowed. I have been known to dip a tooth brush in Anbesol so it's easier to get on. I can't remember what age they can have Baby Ibuprofen but I've also found that to be better with teething and it can increase the doses of painkiller that you can have if you alternate them. Might be worth a try?

MyFirstFire Wed 17-Jun-15 23:11:12

election a 2.5ml dose works fine but how many days in a row can I continue to use it? We are using branded Calpol, doctor told me to buy it ages ago (something unrelated) so it's what we have in the cupboard. Is the non-branded stuff still flavoured?
Blue she always spits out dummies unfortunately
nicky I will investigate anbesol and baby ibuprofen, thank you! Maybe it's best if I alternate paracetamol one day, ibuprofen the next

RobotHamster Wed 17-Jun-15 23:14:21

Ibuprofen can be better for teething as it reduces swelling as well. It also lasts longer, so a dose before bed may well mean a more settled night, and less frequent doses.

electionfatigue Wed 17-Jun-15 23:17:59

Non-branded stuff also flavoured, my kids take it fine. You can use it indefinitely if you know what you're treating (teething pain), the advice on the bottle not to use over a certain number of days is so that people don't keep treating something that should be seen by a doctor.

MyFirstFire Thu 18-Jun-15 03:17:48

Thanks so much! Feel a bit more able to cope now. Hopefully these teeth will break through sooner rather than later!

FastWindow Thu 18-Jun-15 03:42:41

Tesco calpol substitute is pretty disgusting I have to say. Im all for the full on sugar version. Think Mary poppins - it's not like they are having this stuff for breakfast every day. If you are already feeling crap, and you're made to swallow this non sugar, non colour stuff to alleviate the guilt of the parents ?

Full Fat Calpol, I say. They don't half take it easier than the tesco stuff. Which at 2am is pretty darned important.

FastWindow Thu 18-Jun-15 03:44:06

I put this on another thread, but freeze a wet flannel for chewing. Hope it eases soon x

RobotHamster Thu 18-Jun-15 09:56:14

FastWidow grin

MyFirstFire Thu 18-Jun-15 11:00:08

grin very true Fast and Calpol isn't that expensive, I've wasted money on far more expensive baby things bassinet that dd never used, velcro co-sleeper that she is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now