Talk

Advanced search

Coconut oil for nappy rash?

(11 Posts)
ParsleyCake Wed 17-Jun-15 15:02:35

Can coconut oil be used for nappy rash? It seems it has a thousand uses, and I read this one somewhere and was wondering if anyone else had any luck with it or could confirm it is ok to use

bruffin Wed 17-Jun-15 15:19:47

There is a huge marketing campaign on coconut oil as a miracle cure all at the moment. Very little of the claims have any basis. Its quite good as a moisturizer but that is it

Lonz Wed 17-Jun-15 16:13:53

Sudocrem almost always solves nappy rash in my experience. But don't use it with every nappy change as it's strong and only if nappy rash is present. Didn't use anything else except a barrier which was any petroleum jelly.

Blankiefan Wed 17-Jun-15 18:41:55

Yellow metanium is the way forward.

Roseybee10 Wed 17-Jun-15 22:21:41

I personally find sudocreme awful when my little ones have nappy rash! It sticks to the rash and clogs up the skin so it can't breathe.
The best thing I've ever used for nappy rash is pure aloe Vera.
Egg whites are also great if it's really bad.
I've not tried coconut oil yet but it's great for cradle cap and as a general moisturiser. X

cowbiscuits Thu 18-Jun-15 16:53:59

It probably wouldn't hurt to try coconut oil, but I doubt it's going to work on nappy rash because its more of a moisturiser.

You need a barrier, especially if they are pooing frequently or have diahorrea. I think Vaseline is better than sudocrem for this.

I swear by metanium to calm /sooth, and Vaseline as a barrier.

I found metanium on its own can be quite drying, but its magic stuff.

Also, soap free baths to soak off any build-up of creams, and nappy free time.

Daisychainz01 Thu 18-Jun-15 21:01:40

I've heard that it's best if you use cold pressed raw coconut oil. Aparently it has anti bacterial properties.

GherkinMuncher Thu 18-Jun-15 21:07:10

Had no nappy rash in months since stopping using Johnson's bubble bath. We just use water in baths now.

mindalina Thu 18-Jun-15 21:10:26

i've used it on the baby's bum a couple of times when i couldn't find the sudocrem and i really don't think it did anything.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Thu 18-Jun-15 21:17:52

I've used it for nappy rash and it helped.

Dionysuss Fri 19-Jun-15 17:29:52

Metanium is brilliant stuff. It can be quite drying though, especially if it's used on large areas. Coconut oil in the bath works as an amazing moisturiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now