Talk

Advanced search

Baby ridiculously tired after days at nursery....

(25 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Tue 16-Jun-15 13:36:18

He's 10 months and barely sleeps there at all, he's there 8-5 2 days a week and if he gets 45 mins sleep there, that's a good day.
They have a separate bedroom with cots, he has a grobag, muslins, teddies, dummies but nope, won't sleep.
When I pick him up and his eyes are red where he's so tired but has clearly fought it.

Now bless him, he just wants to sleep all day on the days he's not there. Which isn't that convenient as I want to spend time with him on my days off and I've got errands to run.

Will he just one day decided 'sod it, I'll sleep at nursery'?
Anyone have any positive stories that'll make me feel better? confused

KatyN Tue 16-Jun-15 14:38:36

My boy used to be like this and he. Did nap at nursery- the day after he was so tired!
Will your nursery cuddle him to sleep or rock him in a pushchair? That might help him get used to sleeping at nursery? At mine there was normally at least one member of staff sat on the floor with a baby fast asleep in her arms.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 16-Jun-15 14:41:13

How does he nap at home? Could it be noisier at Nursery? Id try and train him to sleep in whatever conditions are set at Nursery (lights/noise etc).

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 16-Jun-15 14:45:04

Mine was just like this - at home would have two sleeps, one for 3 hours. Nursery was 20 mins max.

At about 18 months/2 years he increased it to 40-60 minutes - and was less tired generally.

He's now nearly 5 and I'm struggling to remember nap times smile

Ilovenannyplum Tue 16-Jun-15 14:55:40

He naps at home, in the car, in the pram, on me, in the high chair but just not at nursery confused
He fell asleep in the cot at 1.30, I literally sat him in it whilst I picked some stuff of the floor and he laid down, rolled onto his side and went to sleep. He's still asleep now.
He slept 6.15-7 last night, back in the cot 8-9.30, 45 mins in the buggy earlier and this current nap now.

They've tried rocking him, didn't work. Tried holding him. Didn't work. Tried leaving him. Didn't work.

I think for now, I need to accept he's just not going to sleep at nursery blush

saltnpepa Thu 18-Jun-15 20:59:56

Get an aupair? Will work out same cost and he can sleep at home. What you describe is not sustainable, a baby can't thrive like that so sleep deprived most of the week.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 18-Jun-15 22:26:07

Depends how determined the child is! My LO thrived despite refusing to sleep (4 days a week at nursery). As long as he's being given the opportunity to rest (& catches up at home) he'll be fine.

Ilovenannyplum Thu 18-Jun-15 22:46:04

Sadly I cannot afford an aupair. He's only at nursery 2 days a week so cost wise, doesn't work out the same.
And I'm in London where aupairs cost approx £4,0000,000 a week confused

waterrat Fri 19-Jun-15 12:21:47

Would they be prepared to use a buggy to get him to sleep ?

puffinsaregood Fri 19-Jun-15 12:34:25

How long has he been at nursery? Is he happy there generally?

Can they take him for a walk in a pram or sling?

puffinsaregood Fri 19-Jun-15 12:44:08

Could you rearrange work days to have him there four half days rather than two full days, or make the nursery days shorter somehow, e.g. work from home part time, stagger work with partner?

puffinsaregood Fri 19-Jun-15 12:45:10

Or other mums in this situation found baby was calmer and slept more at a childminder, as they can be more flexible e.g. long walk at lunchtime, and fewer other children to excite them.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 19-Jun-15 13:13:45

He's at nursery 8-5
I've already cut my days (no lunch break to leave earlier, working from home isn't an option) and my DP has Wednesday's off to have him. There isn't anything else I can do work wise.

I just guess it'll take a bit of time for him to settle in. They can't wheel him around in the pram as they don't allow prams inside the nursery and because of the staff:baby ratio, they can't leave the room.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 19-Jun-15 13:14:53

He's only been there since beginning of May so it's really early doors yet

Blankiefan Fri 19-Jun-15 13:40:29

Could you maybe afford to put him in for a whole week (just one off). Whilst he's been in quite a few weeks, he's maybe not getting a chance to get used to it since it's only 2 days week. Maybe a period of going more regularly might get him more used to it?

What do nursery say?

Ilovenannyplum Fri 19-Jun-15 18:33:13

It's not a money case but because we only signed up for 2 days, the other spaces have been filled. So they're up to their baby quota and can't take any more on the 3 other days confused

Oh it's hard, these little people that come and steal your heart and cause so much worry!

Twodogsandahooch Fri 19-Jun-15 18:39:15

If it is only 2 days per week I wouldn't stress about it too much. My DD catnapped at nursery at that age. At 12 months she moved up to the next room where they had more structured nap times. Soon she was sleeping for 2 hours with the rest of them.

How long has he been there for?

Frizz1986 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:58:52

My little girl spent the first month not sleeping well at all. For her first week she only slept for 20-30 mins each day. She was a bad sleeper at home but even worse at nursery. She's in full time and now 6 months in she sleeps better there than at home.
It only took a month for her to settle into a sleep routine and now she has 2-2.5hrs each day and I want to know how they do it!
Things will get better, it just takes time.

RepeatAdNauseum Fri 19-Jun-15 20:08:00

When I worked in nurseries, there were lots of babies who didn't sleep. Their parents always said how good they were at home, but nursery always seemed too exciting or different or stimulating and they just wouldn't go.

He'll get used to it, eventually. It might take a long time, because he's only there two days, but he will work it out.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 19-Jun-15 20:38:40

Thanks Repeat and Frizz
Makes me feel much better smile

Kennington Fri 19-Jun-15 20:54:24

Ask them to give him a bottle just before his nap? This worked ok for mine.

Sunflower1985 Fri 19-Jun-15 20:58:09

My ds barely slept in the baby room - they were all going off at different times and he's a light sleeper. When he moved to the next room and they all nap at the same time together he shot up to 1-2 hours consistently. Peer pressure I think smile

ThatsNotEvenAWord Fri 19-Jun-15 21:05:38

Following this because my DS is exactly the same. He's 1 and generally sleeps for a couple of hours on his days with me. I'm a teacher so can't rearrange hours or anything either. I found out today they put him down for a nap after lunch whereas at home he sleeps around 9/10 so I'm going to suggest they put him down earlier.

Sometimes I feel guilty as they tell me in a slightly accusatory manner 'still not napping mummy!' Like I can control him remotely... hmm

Ilovenannyplum Sat 20-Jun-15 08:29:58

Controlling him remotely gringrin
That would make life much easier wouldn't it?!

OriginalHugsy Sat 20-Jun-15 20:50:03

My DD was sleeping twice a day at home but only 20 or 30 mins at nursery when she started and for the first 2 months. Went in at about 11 months old. She also goes in 2 days about same length as your child. I felt like quitting work for ages as I thought she was too tired, thrn it gradually got better. 45 mins to an hour and I was happy but now she sleeps 1.5 to 2 hours after lunch and it took about 4 months ( I reckon longer as only in for 2 days). She absolutely loves nursery too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now