Talk

Advanced search

Dummy!!

(14 Posts)
MumOfOne14 Sat 13-Jun-15 01:18:36

Any advice on starting to wean my nearly 7month old off a Dummy?? Honestly I'm dreading it, lol!

GlitterTwinkleToes Sat 13-Jun-15 01:21:40

7 months is far too early! The General age is around 2 years I believe.
Is there an alternative you could try and reduce first without withholding the dummy, a teddy bear, blanket ornsomething of that sort?

spillyobeans Sat 13-Jun-15 02:46:16

Why 2 years? Many people dont even use a dummy at all, so i think there should be no reason why you couldn't start now if you want. Maybe try teaching to self sooth with a finger etc and gradually reducing time with it. You could start saying dummy time is only in bed, or on a certain chair or at a certain time of day etc till eventually you stop?

lexyloub Sat 13-Jun-15 04:04:01

I also think 7 months is too early you're taking something away they love & get comfort from they won't understand why

Limpetsmum Sat 13-Jun-15 04:14:45

Never used one with my kids but a friend just went cold turkey at 6 months with her son had two terrible nights/days and then all was fine. Just don't cave!

MumOfOne14 Sat 13-Jun-15 09:21:43

Thanks everyone. I want to do it sooner rather than later because he may become toooo attached & maybe more determined when he's older.. Plus my HV recommend I do it now. And I hate seeing older DC struggling to talk whilst a dummy is in their mouth.. So yeah maybe I'll start with just giving it at bed times.. Thanks again everyone! smile

NoMontagues Sat 13-Jun-15 11:11:25

DS is 10 months and about 6 weeks ago I started to restrict the dummy just to the cot, and right before bedtime.

He did ask for it a lot at the start (he loves it so much that by 8 months he had a word for it - "mam" and an action, pursed lips confused )

Anyway it's fine now. He sucks it like a madman when he gets it though. No babbling through it like he used to! I don't know when I'll tackle removing it at night. Not for ages I'd say.

Roseybee10 Sat 13-Jun-15 11:46:42

My dd only ever had it for sleeping. She never got it during the day. I think 7 months is very young as they don't understand or aren't able to substitute it. I think encouraging to use a thumb or finger could be worse as there's no way to stop them from doing that. My cousin is still a thumb sucker at 36 lol.

I hate seeing toddlers with a dummy in their mouth all the time but you would never have known dd1 had a dummy as she only got it for naps and bed. She gave it up voluntarily at around 22 months and never asked for it again.

spillyobeans Sat 13-Jun-15 12:23:56

Roseybee thats a good point about finger/thumb , i didnt think about that! I think at any age you try and change routine/habits its going to be hard just in different ways! Maybe the upside of doing it at 7 months is they wont remember so much? Either way, good luck flowers

On a side note my cousin when growing up have a dummy untill she was 10, she used to just sit around the house with it in...now how weird is that!

Alb1 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:21:54

DS is 9 months and a couple of months ago we just started leaving it in the bedroom when he wakes up, he doesn't care about it cos it can't see it, we take it in the car tho for emergencies! When he's in a deep sleep we take the dummy back out (he sleeps with his mouth open, we don't snatch it) and he's gradually relying on it less and less... But it's a slow process for us!

MumOfOne14 Sat 13-Jun-15 17:49:11

He's I think I'd prefer a slow process for him. Thanks everyone, lots of good ideas smile

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sat 13-Jun-15 19:49:11

We started restricting dummy to only for sleep at around 6/7 months. She falls asleep with it when we put her down, but once it falls out it stays out. She had it more when she started at childminder, but they now only use it for naps after a couple weeks there.

ODog Sun 14-Jun-15 14:10:58

My DS is 12mo and I found that around 6/7mo I could remove it while he was playing/distracted without him really knowing. I would then just give it to him if he was tired/upset/in pain and also in the car as he just cries the whole journey. Personally, I won't be removing it for a while as he is not a great sleeper as it is and I think it's better for him to get a good nights sleep. It's also lovely that he has something to help soothe him when he is upset (along with me and his rag that he also loves!). It's obviosuly personal preference, but as long as they don't have it all the time, I don't see an issue with allowing a baby/very small child to have something they love and get comfort from.

MumOfOne14 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:35:47

Yeah you're right odog, if it came to it I would rather him have a dummy & a good nights sleep!! Happy baby = happy Mammy!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now