Talk

Advanced search

Tips for coping with a newborn and toddler!

(5 Posts)
Treesandbees Tue 09-Jun-15 14:51:19

I'm due DD in August when my DS will be 2 yo. Any tips for the transition from 1 to 2??? Slightly bricking it!!

lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 15:00:37

Be as organised as you can and try to fit baby into your toddlers routine rather than change toddler to fit in with baby. Get clothes ready the night before prepare food if possible always have a baby bag packed etc. Your toddler will probably act up a bit they all do its a big thing for them to get used to no advice on that other than just ride it out give lots of cuddles it will get better in time. Accept anybodys offer of help with the housework or shopping. Try to get out the house at least once a day even if it's just a walk to shop or a quick visit to the park. You'll have good and bad days write off the bad days and remember the good ones. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

SweetieXPie Tue 09-Jun-15 15:10:07

Agree with all of the above especially about getting out of the house, you will drive yourself mad being inside all day, I know sometimes you feel shattered,, but at least your toddler will burn off some energy.
Local libraries usually have some free sing and story time things. If you have a good Children's Centre near you, go to anything they have on.
I remember having days that I just wanted to sleep, venturing out of the house seemed so daunting but you will get through it!
Ps: I went on to have baby number three, time does fly and you very quickly forget the bad days wink

Treesandbees Tue 09-Jun-15 15:37:15

Thank you! I've got a dog so will definitely be getting out each day to walk him. I've got a double buggy and a sling so hope that helps. Good advice about keeping toddlers routine going!

Roseybee10 Tue 09-Jun-15 15:40:11

My dd1 was 2.7 when dd2 came along. We're four months in and it's definitely easier now.

1. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be getting it right all the time for both. Sometimes the toddler will need to watch TV and wait for juice etc. sometimes the baby will need to grump for a minute if the toddler needs to go to the toilet/needs nappy changed. You can't meet all their needs all the time right away (I beat myself up about this until I realised it wasn't possible)
2. Try and get out every day for something. Park, shops, visiting, groups.
3. Invest in a sling. It's the only way I could make food for the toddler while the refluxy baby needed held upright.
4. Try and establish a routine for your day so you're not overwhelmed. This doesn't mean a rigid routine for the baby if that's not your thing (it's not mine so my routine was flexible enough to fit around the baby but gave my day some structure).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now