Talk

Advanced search

Standing up peeing

(8 Posts)
grandmato7 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:27:31

I have a just 4 year old Grandson and my query is what can I do to encourage him to pee standing up....he has been pot trained since 2.25 years and totally dry at night since 2.75.... I know it doesn't really matter yet about standing up to pee but it would make my life a little easier when I take him out which is quite regular. He is in a household with just his Mum and two baby sisters and has no regular male contacts... All advice would be appreciated.

caravanista13 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:30:09

Have you talked to his mum about this? It sounds as if you've just decided that this needs doing.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:40:37

Believe me it will come, make the most of the floor being pee free.WHen he sees all his friends at school doing this he will soon alter his methods, in the meantime try not to worry.If it really does bother you, you could always encourage him to stand and spray by saying something like let's water the plants or use your fire mans hose (I'm giggling as I type this because I remember it all well).

knittingdad Sun 07-Jun-15 21:49:02

I think that the normal method is to scrunch up a sheet of loo roll and chuck that in the toilet so he has the fun of something to aim at.

Patienceisapparentlyavirtue Mon 08-Jun-15 06:34:04

Why does he need to? He'll have a blast doing it when he gets to do it outside of the house (and get straight into it as soon as he sees other kids doing it) and you're doing his mum and sisters no favours at all by encouraging him to stand up and make a mess indoors.

Has his mum in any way asked you to help with this?

mumofboyo Mon 08-Jun-15 07:25:42

My ds learned to do it with no input from me. I think he'd seen some boys do it at nursery.

As an aside, do you have a travel potty or something that you could use when you're out and about with him? We have a pipette plus that I bought from Boots (the bags can be bought from there too). Dd uses it as a potty now, ds just does a standing-up wee straight into the bag. It also doubles up as a child's toilet seat so that they can easily use any public toilet that you come across.

mumofboyo Mon 08-Jun-15 07:26:43

Bloody hell it's changed potette to pipette angry and I'd not noticed.

sofahogger Mon 08-Jun-15 07:48:24

I don't understand the mentality if boys/men having to stand whilst peeing. I'm from a family were all the men are at least 6ft 5" and if they'd all stand up whilst peeing the bathroom would be a mess. Think about all the back splash. Yuck.
My ds is only 8 and I have taught him to sit in my or other peoples houses. In public toilets he can stand and he loves going into urinals. He's able to pee standing up if needs must outside.
Please talk to his mum first as I would be mad if granny would try to make my ds pee standing up. (As it is she wouldn't as she taught my brothers to sit)
But then I'm from a country where men sitting down to pee is not classed as un-manly/gay or feminine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now