Talk

Advanced search

In shock after doc thinks 7 month old shouldn't go abroad!

(99 Posts)
Rose138 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:39:18

Hello,

We are going to turkey next week. My son has got eczema and I phoned the docs for advice on the best sun cream. The nurse practitioner phoned me today to tell me he should not be in the sun and that it is silly to be taking him to turkey! I said of course he's not going to be in the sun, we have a villa and I have a uv tent for him hats ect ect ect. But I said to her even in the shade I would put sun cream on him as a breeze can burn, especially abroad. She said she wouldn't take a 7 month old away.

I was so upset so phoned back and asked to speak to the practise manager. I explained and said I felt my parenting was being judged. She to my astonishment said "well we are all older parents here you see and we were talking and saying how we wouldn't take a 7 month old abroad". I asked if my complaint was going to be listened to and she said "do you actually want me to take your complaint seriously, what do you want to achieve?". Off the phone I was so upset and phoned my mum. She was furious and phoned the nurse practitioner saying how upset I was and that a gp surgery should support mums and not destroy their confidence ect. The nurse practitioner replied that "I have had a long day lets all calm down and I'll phone you next week".

I'm just so so shocked and upset at the way we have been spoken to. Also I'm now questioning our holiday. Are we wrong to take him? I suffered from post natal depression and feel that this is pushing me back to feeling like a rubbish mum sad

AtWorkNotW0rking Fri 05-Jun-15 18:40:12

I'm struggling to believe that this happened in the way you suggest

eurochick Fri 05-Jun-15 18:41:15

That's very bizarre. But I think your reaction was OTT. Nod, smile and ignore.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Fri 05-Jun-15 18:43:25

I am struggling to believe it too. Not in all my experience as a patient, a mum, or working in a GP practise has anything like that ever happened.

Flissity83 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:44:17

I personally wouldn't take a 7 month old to a hot country in the middle of summer. But I don't think you're a rubbish parent for doing so, we just have different parenting ideas which is fine. The staff at your GP also have different parenting ideas and perhaps felt they had a duty of care due to the nature of their job to give you their advice. There was a more professional way they could have gone about it.

TweedAddict Fri 05-Jun-15 18:50:12

Omg

You got past the receptionists too speak to all those people in one day!

Blazing88 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:53:26

I wouldn't take a 7month old baby either. Bonkers!

But each to their own and all that! grin

Surprised the doctor had an opinion about it though. My opinion would be kept firmly to myself in real life.

DurhamDurham Fri 05-Jun-15 18:54:20

We took our youngest daughter to Cyprus one summer when she was five months old. It was easy, she was kept in the shade and we went on lovely walks and all had a siesta in the afternoon. We didn't have any problems at all, she was still breastfed then so that made it easier.

The real trouble starts when they can walk.....it becomes a lot more difficult to keep them in the shade smile

heather1 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:56:25

If you need a sun cream for you baby try going to an independent natural health food/ lifestyle store. Like Holland and Barret but independent. They will often provide samples which you can try to check for a reaction.
As a little one my ds has very reactive skin. Green people sun cream works well for him. But there are lots of different brands.

Rose138 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:57:04

I too was concerned-the flight, heat ect. But my sister lives there and hasn't met my son and she can't afford to come over here. My husband and I made the decision. Perhaps my reaction was ott confused

paxtecum Fri 05-Jun-15 18:57:10

My friend's niece lives in USA, she came here on holiday with 6month old baby who had bad eczema. The eczema got much worse here.
They had a miserable holiday.

Rose138 Fri 05-Jun-15 18:58:24

Thank you DurhamDurham and heather1. X

LoloKazolo Fri 05-Jun-15 18:58:53

I'm sorry about your PND. flowers

You may have overreacted a little. I don't think that getting your mum to phone up people who have offended you is a great way to deal with minor disagreements. HCPs are just people; their opinions are not generally law and may sometimes just be a random comment. Their advice isn't usually a strong judgement on your entire worth as a mother. It's ok to disagree with them. It doesn't have to be a drama.

PenguinPoser Fri 05-Jun-15 19:00:23

That's their opinion - fair enough. I'm taking my dd abroad in August (family wedding) and she'll be 5.5 months. I don't see an issue as long as you're sun safe which you clearly are. Each to their own and all that.

Rose138 Fri 05-Jun-15 19:00:38

That's such a shame paxtecum. My eczema has always improved abroad, more of a dry heat I guess compared to here being warm, cold, rainy, humid confused

Haffdonga Fri 05-Jun-15 19:00:48

FFS they are being ridiculous. How on earth do Turkish babies survive if it's so dangerous? DS went to Turkey at 5 months. well covered and had a fantastic time.

It's a great place for babies.

But really you just should have ignored.

littleducks Fri 05-Jun-15 19:01:03

I thought nhs guidelines said for under ones to be kept in the shade and not to use sun cream as their skin was too thin. this may have been updated.

i don't understand the breeze can burn comment either.

I think a non mobile baby will be fine (people do have babies in Turkey and other sunny places! ) if you use a UV shade on pram and keep in the shade and use a hat.

Rose138 Fri 05-Jun-15 19:03:04

LoloKazolo yes you're probably right! Not my finest moment!

Have a great time PenguinPoser! X

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 05-Jun-15 19:04:48

We took DD2 to the south of France when she was three months. She was breastfed and a very contented sort of baby. She spent most of the time snoozing in the shade.

TheTravellingLemon Fri 05-Jun-15 19:05:01

I find this all a bit confused. People in Turkey have babies too. They don't just import them as toddlers. Go if you want yo go.

You can burn in the shade though (I know because I have such pale skin and it's happened to me) so obviously be careful, but you would anyway.

ItsNotAsPerfectAsItSeems Fri 05-Jun-15 19:06:58

We went to Majorca when ds1 was very little. We didn't apply suncream at all although we took it. We literally spent the entire week in the villa and DS spent the entire week snoozing and chilling on a day bed. We swam with him in the pool after tea each evening when the temp was around 16.

MrsNextDoor Fri 05-Jun-15 19:08:00

What is this crap that people are coming out with!? Not taking babies abroad indeed!

I took DD to Oz when she was 2 months! Luckily my HV was very supportive and advised me beautifully. She was and is...fine! Carry the complaint further OP it's utter crap!

As though NO Turkish babies have eczema!

sandgrown Fri 05-Jun-15 19:08:30

We took our DS to Israel at 4 months. No problem at all except all the stuff we took which we could have got there! He slept in the afternoon under a sunshade. Go for it but just watch he does not get sunburn . PS auntie and uncle took DS on.local beach and he got sunstroke as they underestimated the strength of the sun!

JassyRadlett Fri 05-Jun-15 19:09:28

Christ. They'd hate me, I took DS to Australia for a month when he was five months.

Radiatorvalves Fri 05-Jun-15 19:11:14

DS went to S of France when he has 9 months old. No issues at all. It was July and very hot. I then took him to Dubai the following July. I wouldn't recommend that, but DH was there and it was his only opportunity to see DS in a 6 month period. DS was fine!

Enjoy the trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now