Talk

Advanced search

PG with dc2. How to cope with the transition

(5 Posts)
Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 02-Jun-15 09:33:34

Hello,
I'm pg with dc 2 and we are all very excited. Dc1 will be 3 when the new baby comes. I'm just looking for tips and advice really about how you found the jump from 1-2 children.
Any must have buys? Prep it can do? Things to minimise the change to dc1. I'd say I'm one on life's "cope-ers" and not a really worrier, I'm not to concerned at the change. Although a few people have helpfully told me how Horrific the transition is and how hard it was to cope Ect hmm so I'm just gathering info I guess.

Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 02-Jun-15 09:34:34

Sorry for spelling and grammar. On my phone and making packed lunches at the same time

globetrotter141 Tue 02-Jun-15 17:05:55

A decent sling! I found I carried dc2 much more to have free hands for my toddler. It helps for getting them to nap too in the early days. I also wish we'd bought a double buggy. But as your dc1 is 3 may not be necessary. It is a huge transition. I knew it would be in my head but wasn't prepared really for how different it would be! It does change y our relationship with dc1 and I missed the time I would usually have with him. You will find any days that you just have the baby on your own will be an absolute breeze! Enjoy! All the best

TeaandHobnobs Tue 02-Jun-15 17:20:59

DC1 (DS) just turned 3, and DC2 (DD) is 11 weeks.
We were given a book called "I'm a big brother" which we read with DS in the last couple of months - he was very excited about being a big brother. He has been good, very affectionate towards DD, but he is quite a sensitive child, not naturally boisterous. There has been some attention seeking and challenging behaviour, but that could just be him being 3, and other things going on at home (my father dying, my mum coming to stay since then, new au pair come and gone). And DD is quite a chilled baby, so she hasn't been as hard work as I was expecting.
I got a double buggy, even though we only use it rarely, but if I'm going out on my own with them both, and I don't want to have DD permanently in the sling, it makes life so much easier (trying to wrangle DS into a buggy to keep him in one place while DD is in the sling is really difficult).
I feel a little sad that DD doesn't get the same one-on-one attention DS got as a baby, but I guess thems the breaks of being DC2, eh?

Peppaismyhomegirl Tue 02-Jun-15 18:25:51

Thank you. The double buggy thing is interesting as I was wondering to bother with one or not. It will deffo be handy for days out. And Dh works away Monday-Friday so strap them both in for ease and safety when I take them places. To be honest tho. Dc1 doesn't really use a pram now unless we are on a day trip?
We have been reading a book about having a new baby and he seems keen. I'll keep explaining and preparing him. I've leant a sling as someone else recommended that to me! I'm getting a bit confused now I fear I have underestimated this emotionally?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now