Umbilical hernia

(12 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Fri 29-May-15 09:12:00

Anyone have any positive stories about them going away on their own?

DS is 9 & 1/2 months, he's had it since the 6 week check where the doctor got into a right flap and referred us to the hospital. The hospital Dr said they won't do anything about it until he's about to start school because (and I quote) "other kids will pick on him then" lovely hmm

It doesn't bother him, doesn't seem to be getting bigger. He squelches it in the bath and it makes me want to tear my ears off though grin

MiaowTheCat Fri 29-May-15 09:32:12

Dd1 had one that went away on its own after a year or so and now has one very squidgeable belly button!

Doctor was unconcerned as long as it was able to be pressed back in and not becoming trapped but yuk at the memory of how that felt!

Ilovenannyplum Fri 29-May-15 10:06:51

Oohh there is hope! Has she got an outy now?

I definitely don't get belly button envy or anything when I see pampers adverts on the TV. No no no.
I'm an awful parent wink

Jokat Fri 29-May-15 10:16:53

My dd got hers shortly after being released from hospital and it went away several months later, it was definitely gone by her first birthday. As far as I'm aware, it is highly unlikely that your dc will have it for a number of years. I wouldn't worry smile

Ilovenannyplum Fri 29-May-15 10:47:33

This has made me feel so much better, thank you internet strangers smile

ishallnamehimsquishy Fri 29-May-15 11:28:26

DS had quite a big one at his 8 week check, he was referred to have a surgeon take a look at it.

It was gone by itself just before the appointment eventually came round, I think be was maybe 4 months old. I had one as a baby and mine went away too. smile

SalsaP Fri 29-May-15 20:40:23

DS had one which too went of its own accord by the time he was one. He has a perfectly lovely inny belly button now. I'd actually completely forgotten he had an umbilical hernia until I read your post! He is now 3 btw.

MiaowTheCat Fri 29-May-15 20:51:17

DD1 now has one very fab inny - you'd never have known it stuck out a good inch or so like an elephant's trunk.

I believe my aunt had one as well and back in those days they were told to tape a penny over it to keep it popped in. I don't quite know the full current belly button status of my aunt though and it's not really something you can drop into polite conversation out of the blue.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 29-May-15 20:52:40

I hope DS's buggers off, not for vain reasons but just because I can't stand the noise it makes when he grabs it confused

namechangedalready Fri 29-May-15 20:54:11

DS had a massive one and it went on its own at about 4 months, he now has an "inny" As others have said, as long as it is squidging back in there is nothing to worry about.

Ilovenannyplum Fri 29-May-15 20:56:34

@miaow gringringrin
I can see that being an awkward conversation

durhamgirl Fri 29-May-15 22:18:18

My sons was huge, HV said it was the biggest she'd ever seen. No surgery needed, it went by itself around 18 months. You do have to squeeze it in regularly to make sure it can go back in otherwise it's very serious. He does have a decent sized outy now but calls it his tummy bum as it has a line down the middle grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now