Talk

Advanced search

Sad toddler after potty training :-(

(9 Posts)
teacher54321 Tue 19-May-15 17:52:56

It's been a quite traumatic month-ds is completely dry during the day (won't use public toilets due to hand dryers so we are a bit restricted, but he is growing in confidence.) He's now withholding poo though and has been to the dr twice and been prescribed movicol. This is sporadically working but causes him to have accidents because he can't get to the potty in time. But he is just so clingy and sad at the moment-it's breaking my heart. The constipation is entirely psychological, he was regular as clockwork before, and I just wish I could help him more. We're now not mentioning it all to try and take all pressure off, but I worry that this is going to get worse and worse and am getting really upset about it.

Loopness Tue 19-May-15 22:00:32

aw poor little lad (my ds is the same with hand driers but i find if i prepare him for it before we go in its not so bad). Think i would take him off the movicol if it were me as the accidents might make him feel disheartened. Do you have a porta potty or just one thats his own that you can take around with you? as he may feel better pooing on one that is just for him.
Try not to get too upset (easy to say i know) but he may sense it and it could make him more tense.
I hope things improve.

Marchhairy Wed 20-May-15 16:00:36

We had the same issue with DS. Dry with wees in 3 days. I stopped pushing it and let him have a nappy for poos. After a couple of months we went down the bribery route - then it was him wanting to do it rather than us pushing it.
Will your son ask for a nappy and be happy using it?
My son was crying with stomach ache he was withholding so much so I didn't want to make it an issue.

RandomMess Wed 20-May-15 16:04:14

See I would be tempted to go back to nappies for a while even if it's just to get him back into a routine.

Is he happy doing a poo at home on your toilet?

teacher54321 Wed 20-May-15 18:57:58

Just had another difficult bedtime-even though he did two poos at nursery today and one last night. Potty training has made him so unbelievably clingy and so sad. He's hardly playing with his toys at home-just wants to sit with me all day on the sofa. Also refused to do a wee before bed. I am trying so hard not to let the stress show but am pretty sure I'm failing miserably. There's no way he'd go back to nappies-have tried that!

RandomMess Wed 20-May-15 19:57:16

Pull ups?

TBH being constipated does make you feel awful sad

Nevercan Wed 20-May-15 20:04:14

Try watching poo goes to pooland on utube together. It helped my dd2 to go to the loo and wave goodbye to her poo. Try a sticker chart perhaps and give one each time there is a success

teacher54321 Wed 20-May-15 21:36:12

Have tried poo goes to pooland-will try that again. Am also going to see if I can find some more discreet pull ups for him-he's not keen on his nappies overnight at the moment either. Basically this whole thing has taken my happy go lucky toddler away from me and I want him back! Lovely as the cuddles are-It's not him.

RandomMess Wed 20-May-15 22:19:12

Could it be in part co-incidence and there is something else going on too? For example he's just not feeling well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now