Tell me this is as exhausting as it gets? (2 kids)

(14 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-May-15 18:38:00

DD is 3.6, DS is 7mo. I am shattered.

I work four days a week (shifts), DH works Mon-Fri termtime. DS likes to wake at 5.30, which is a treat after a 11pm finish the night before (work). DD is in this "I want to sit and cuddle you every minute of every day" phase.

Im shattered.

There is never a minute of the day that DH and I arent doing something. Oh,except about 8pm-9pm when we manage to meet on the sofa for a bit of telly. On the nights im not at work, anyways.

Please tell me that I will (even slowly!) start to feel like im not running round like a headless chicken?

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Mon 18-May-15 19:08:06

It does get better. Little by little bt t really will. In a few years you'll look back and think 'wow, I've made it'.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Mon 18-May-15 19:10:56

In fact, you have the same age gap as I had between DD and DS1. I'm trying to think when it got easier - I know it helped to up DD's preschool hours and not feel guilty about it making things easier for me. I spent lots of time drinking tea with friends with similar aged children.

RandomMess Mon 18-May-15 19:13:04

OMG the 5.30 start is a killer on it's own!

It will get better, school will be like a breeze in comparison smile

Greenstone Mon 18-May-15 19:16:18

I have two the exact same age and work a bit less than you part time. I'm completely knackered. The baby doesn't sleep much. I can never get the house clean or on top of the laundry - or I'll take one day off and it's upside down again. Life does feel pretty much a grind.

But we only have 2! What about all those people with loads of kids?!

Greenstone Mon 18-May-15 19:17:33

YY to the exhausted meeting on couch at 8!

funnyoldonion Mon 18-May-15 19:23:15

Mine are 5 and 18 months and I've just dropped down to part time from full time work have no family nearby and I've never been so tired in all my life! My youngest gets up at 5am too, just letting you know you're not alone but I have no advice, it's hard x

JammyGeorge Mon 18-May-15 19:26:50

Ds1 just turned 5 and ds2 is 2.5. It is easier, much easier.

I do 30 hours over 4 days and DH full time. I still spend every waking hour doing something but I get good sleep.

I think I can handle pretty much anything life throws at me if I've had 7/8 hours uninterrupted.

JammyGeorge Mon 18-May-15 19:29:58

Also - ds1 woke at 530 every morning for months and months I thought it was never going to end but it did.

He's still an early bird but averages about 7-730 most days.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-May-15 19:32:20

I wish I could have a regular bedtime rather than a 1am bedtime after a late shift, I do think it would help, but it us balanced by the fact that I get more days with the kids.

Oh god - 2.5 and 5 Jammy I look forward to that!

myneighbourtotoro2 Mon 18-May-15 19:34:25

I feel your pain. I have dd 2 and ds 8 mo who is also a very early waker. Both end up in our bed every single night and it's just exhausting.

I have been told it gets easier. I don't want to wish their tiny lives away but I am looking forward to when I get a bit more sleep too.

BettyCatKitten Mon 18-May-15 19:37:47

It does passflowers
It will be easier when dc1 at school and dc2 at nursery.

Roseybee10 Mon 18-May-15 20:24:06

I feel the same. On maternity leave with no2 (3 months) and dd1 who is 2.5. Dd1 is up at 6, dd2 doesn't go to bed until about 11 and then is up for night feeds and dd1 has just dropped her nap.
I'm dreading going back to work as I generally need to work in evenings at home (teacher). Before I went on maternity leave I was out the house at 7.30, in work for 8, leaving at 6, going dinner and bedtime with dd and then working til 9.30pm. I've no idea how to sustain that with 2!!!

maroonedwithfour Mon 18-May-15 20:30:26

Early starts are a killer. My first two had the same gap, it was hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now