??? advice pls x

(14 Posts)
juniorbabybump123 Sun 17-May-15 19:02:59

Just wanted to ask what it was like the first time you brought your baby home?xx

Cassie258 Sun 17-May-15 19:27:01

It's scary because it's your first time without the back up of nurses/midwives.

It doesn't take long to get used to it tho and you'll build up a wonderful routine for yourself in no time

BlacknWhitePanda Sun 17-May-15 19:30:34

I was tired, but scared to be without anyone...
We all camped in the living room instead of going to bed, not sure why we just didn't make it up there. But dp filled the room with blankets and pillows so it was super cosy.
Within a week we had a routine going and I felt vaguely confident with ds!

buntingbingo Sun 17-May-15 19:30:41

Terrifying. I had a dream that we had builders in and they had left behind a baby, I woke up and there was the baby, for a few seconds I was convinced it was real.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 17-May-15 19:32:17

Relief as we had been in SCBU, scared, terrified and delighted all rolled into one. Very odd those early days, try not to plan just go with it as it happens x

306235388 Sun 17-May-15 19:34:42

Surprising. We brought Ds home on Xmas day and he woke up about 2 hours after we got home and then basically fed, or cried the whole night long. I seriously thought something was wrong but there wasn't. It was quite stressful and I felt quite anxious but equally it was lovely that dh and I were together and he stayed up with me and we worked through it together.

With dd though it was also surprising because she slept, woke every 4 hours at the most, slept some more etc...

CultureSucksDownWords Sun 17-May-15 21:21:50

Like Dame, massive relief as I'd been in hospital for nearly 2 weeks and DS had been in SCBU. So it was such a release to finally be in my own home - I cried with relief because I could sit on my sofa with my cushions!

Then my DP and I looked at each other and said "what do we do now!?". A strange moment, and then we realised that we just needed to do things as normal, but just around looking after DS when he needed it!

Littlefish Sun 17-May-15 21:29:25

I felt completely bewildered. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing! It felt very, very strange to have absolutely no structure to my day (or night!) whatsoever. I had previously been in a highly structured work environment and found the change very hard to cope with.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Mon 18-May-15 22:14:40

Me and my baby were in hospital for a week due to her having an infection, being checked every 2 hours and waking me every two hours, checking her temp, heated mattress...etc. When I got home I lost my shit and cried because we were finally a family after my OH having only visiting hours, the first few nights I wasn't coping very well, checking her temp constantly, watching her sleep, worrying all the time.

after about a week I was dandy.

Now she's 5 months old and I feel like a pro ;) haha

Everybody feels different but it'll always get better smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 18-May-15 22:19:25

We put her down in her carseat in the middle of the room and just sat for a hlaf hour looking at her grin

Then we put her in her moses basket for a bit. Then she lay on our chest a bit. I tried BFing and hated it so within 24 hours of leaving hospital she was bottle fed so we just took it in turns - feed and three hours on duty while the other slept then feed and swap. And so on.

And the visitors. God. They drove me mad.

Second baby I literally could have walked home from the hospital. I didnt mind any visitors, just got on and did.

CakeRattleandRoll Tue 19-May-15 06:00:37

DS was v prem and in the NICU for two months, so we felt very relieved to bring him home. But we did feel we 'knew' him quite well by then, and were well practised at BFing, nappies, baths, etc. I remember feeling a bit lost for what to do when he was tucked up asleep during the day. I was sort of expecting to be looking after him all the time, but of course they do a lot of sleeping in the early days.

rootypig Tue 19-May-15 06:03:23

Absolutely fine - my mum was with me, which helped, but I'm from a big family and was never worried about looking after a little baby. Was delighted to get back to the fridge which I'd stuffed full of smoked salmon, pate and brie!

I understand it's scary and overwhelming for a lot of people - just wanted to give another view.

CoodleMoodle Tue 19-May-15 06:51:26

First night was awful as we were trying to bf and neither of us took to it. DD screamed all night/most of the next morning. We put her on formula that day and everything was lovely! Hard, but lovely.

plipplops Tue 19-May-15 09:10:15

Shell shocked. Brought her home, she sat in her car seat, we sat on the bed looking at her and DH started crying with the emotion of it all! She was 2 weeks overdue so I think we were just so tired, and had spent 9 months thinking about birth and no time at all thinking about the actual baby bit!

I was quite sore so didn't want to leave home for well over a week, but we soon settled into a routine. We moved house a week later so it can't have been that bad smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now