Talk

Advanced search

baby may have a UTI- im having a nervous breakdown!

(10 Posts)
eastcoastmum2014 Fri 15-May-15 18:57:03

Hello all, just looking for anyone with similar experience. My 4 month old was under the weather just over a week ago and I have just had a call from the hospital saying she might have a UTI and as such needs antibiotics tomorrow. I have of course Dr googled it and it says a UTI in a child this young could cause kidney failure!! Or that it could indicate an underlying health problem!! So naturally now I'm in tears panicking that my baby is seriously ill!! Has anyone else known a baby to have a UTI and everything being ok? It doesn't help that my birth was traumatic and we both ended up on antibiotics and now I have a panic attack everytime I go through the doors of that place sad

fruitpastille Fri 15-May-15 19:02:11

Step away from Dr google :-) My niece had one and she was fine, hope that helps.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Fri 15-May-15 19:04:48

My DD had a UTI at 6 weeks and another one at 10 months. She's fine. They did scan her kidney at 6 weeks to ensure anatomy was normal, a and it was.
please step away from Dr Google. Get the antibiotics. Also ask them to test her urine after the course has finished to make sure it's cleared.
I'm sure she'll be fine,

Bimblepops Fri 15-May-15 19:05:57

Okay, first thing is to try to calm down (easier said than done, I know).

If the hospital thought your baby was seriously ill, you would have been called in for the antibiotics straight away. But they haven't, so tomorrow you can go in, get the antibiotics and have a chat with them about what they think might be wrong.

Have you had any counselling or debriefing from the hospital following the birth? It sounds as though you might have PTSD, and would really benefit from talking through your birth trauma with someone.

Try to have a calm evening tomight, for both of you. Get some sleep and then approach tomorrow fresh.

Highlove Fri 15-May-15 19:07:39

My DD did a few months ago. She is now a little monkey who flings any green vegetables across the room and torments the cat. Otherwise, she is completely fine. grin

Seriously, it's far more likely than not that it's fine. We were told that it's not uncommon in baby girls, same as it's not in women. Most likely a tiny speck of poo has ended up where it shouldn't.

Don't worry.

Bunbaker Fri 15-May-15 19:17:38

DD had a few UTIs as a baby. The doctors were very thorough and she had various tests to check on her kidney function.

Yes, UTIs can be serious, but the right antibiotics will kick them into touch pretty quickly.

DD is now 14 and absolutely fine.

I totally understand the feeling of panic and I hope your baby recovers quickly.

caravanista13 Fri 15-May-15 19:38:49

My granddaughter had two UTIs before she was one. Nobody seemed unduly concerned and she recovered fully after a course of antibiotics each time. No idea there were any sinister implications!

2014MrsH Fri 15-May-15 22:15:56

My son, now 5 months was admitted to hospital with a UTI at 5 weeks old - he's been on antibiotics ever since and we're still waiting for his kidney scan. Our consultant told us urine infections in young babies are really common - around 1 in 8 if I remember correctly.
Try not to panic (I did) the antibiotics will prevent any damage to kidneys from the UTI and the infection will help build your baby's immune system quicker and it'll be stronger in the long run at fighting off any nasties

Illhaveabpleasebob Fri 15-May-15 22:17:11

flowers for you

I work in paediatrics- UTIs are very very common and complications are very very rare. Please don't panic.

Have you had any help re: birth trauma? This may be helpful

www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk

And many obstetric units will offer a debrief service. It sounds like you need some support xx

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 15-May-15 23:59:09

If you google adult UTI it will also tell you your kidneys will explode if not treated.

Uti's are common with babies, they end up sat in poo and it can get in places not too fabulous.n

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now