Talk

Advanced search

Pocket money/chores for a 4.5 year old

(5 Posts)
RunningGuerita Tue 12-May-15 12:52:30

Yes I know. It's ludicrous. But my 4.5 year old is driving me mad asking for jobs she can do so that we will give her pocket money.

Her dad gave her five 2p coins last week when she badgered him for money for her piggy bank (which someone gave her as a gift). She then badgered us all weekend to go and spend it at the shop. Which she did and now it's gone. So she wants more. We've told her (flippantly) that we don't just hand money out (10 pence, I know we sound ridiculous) and that if she wants to start getting pocket money she needs to earn it.

Now she won't stop talking about it. Everyday. What jobs can I do?

Thing is she is only 4.5 years old. I don't want to reward her for doing things I think she should do anyway like tidying her toys away. So I am a bit at a loss as to what she could do. Wash dishes? (which of course will create more work for us but I appreciate there is some life lesson here)

And she has a 3 yr old sister who will expect the same...

Ideas?

snala Tue 12-May-15 12:56:00

My boys have to make their beds daily, open and tie back their curtains and get themselves dressed for school ( I put out the uniforms)
They are 5 and 7 and get a £1 on a Sunday.
They are currently saving for lego!

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Tue 12-May-15 12:57:43

Why not give her some pocket money? Really can't see the issue.

My two are 6 and 4 - they set the table, take their plates back to the kitchen. But they do those things to contribute to the family tasks, rather than for money.

RunningGuerita Tue 12-May-15 12:58:42

Thanks snala. That is a good suggestion. Though the girls are in bunk beds which makes even smoothing the duvet on the top bunk, challenging.

snala Tue 12-May-15 13:00:11

My boys are too! He's got really good at it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now