Talk

Advanced search

First aid for infants?

(6 Posts)
ParsleyCake Wed 06-May-15 16:37:45

I live in Ayr, Scotland and I was wondering if anyone could help me to find out about first aid classes which would teach you how to resuccisate a baby? I have a fear that my baby will stop breathing or choke on something and would feel much better if I could take a class before he is born.

housebyariver Wed 06-May-15 16:49:15

Have a look at the St John's Ambulance site

www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-advice/first-aid-for-parents.aspx

Please do learn how to try to save your baby's life - my first baby girl died suddenly aged 7 months and I didn't know what to do. I will never forget the feeling of utter hopelessness and despair watching my DH do the kiss of life and the ambulance crew rushing into the house - and this was 38 years ago.

Latium123 Wed 06-May-15 16:58:44

I did a course with the Red Cross and it was really good. You can find local courses on their website. I feel like I have the confidence to respond to any emergency situation now. It's definitely worth doing obviously in the hope that you would never have to use it.

Mrsjayy Wed 06-May-15 17:02:12

Google paediatric first aid courses in your area your council adult learning might run them thats how i did mine, speak to your health visitor she may know of courses runing.

ParsleyCake Wed 06-May-15 23:20:43

Thanks for your help, and I'm so sorry for your loss, housebyariver x

nutmegandginger Thu 07-May-15 11:55:45

The NCT organize baby first aid courses too so maybe worth contacting your local branch. We did one and I found it very reassuring.

So sorry for your loss housebyariver. I can't imagine how awful that must have been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now