Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Second hand prams - bad luck?

(21 Posts)
MrsW1911 Sun 03-May-15 19:26:51

My brother in law once told me that second hand prams/pushchairs etc were bad luck. Now, has anyone else heard this?? I know it's only superstition but I don't want bad luck!!!!! confused

Creatureofthenight Sun 03-May-15 19:31:10

Never heard that before.

HelenF350 Sun 03-May-15 19:32:15

What a load of bull! I've never heard that before and anyway superstitions are a load of nonsense.

SnozzberryPie Sun 03-May-15 19:33:13

No, it is ridiculous.

Personally I think it is wasteful to buy new stuff when there are plenty of second hand goods around which could be reused rather than going to landfill.

NightsOfGethsemane Sun 03-May-15 19:35:49

A quick Google reveals that this is not even a known superstition. Your BIL has made it up. Clearly, it's bollocks. Don't give it a second thought.

qumquat Sun 03-May-15 19:38:15

Complete nonsense!

jeee Sun 03-May-15 19:39:51

Er.... no. Is your BIL a representative of the Pram Manufacturers Association?

Herblore Sun 03-May-15 21:50:15

I've never heard this before. Although, I have to admit I'm a bit funny about second hand stuff. I don't like not knowing where things have been or what they've been used for etc.

Herblore Sun 03-May-15 21:50:21

I've never heard this before. Although, I have to admit I'm a bit funny about second hand stuff. I don't like not knowing where things have been or what they've been used for etc.

SurlyCue Sun 03-May-15 21:52:27

There is no such thing as bad luck in that context so of course this is rubbish.

teenagetantrums Sun 03-May-15 21:54:53

my nan used to say this, however didn't stop her buying me a second hand pram when i needed one, think it goes back to days when child mortality was higher so you might be buying pram of a baby that had died.

birdbrain21 Sun 03-May-15 21:57:55

I've never heard of it and would happily buy a second hand pram that was used but in good condition. However when I see people advertising cots as 'never been used' it freaks me out a bit, we bought a moses basket but my dd prefered to co-sleep but why would you buy a cot and never use it?! Always makes me feel strange

MrsW1911 Sun 03-May-15 22:42:21

Oooh spooky. Ok I will have a look... The only other thing is the guarantees you get with a brand new one. Hmm worth a think they are so expensive argh!! X

SurlyCue Sun 03-May-15 23:07:00

why would you buy a cot and never use it?!

hmm use your imagination.

Imeg Mon 04-May-15 19:04:40

Never heard of this. As far as I know the only things that shouldn't be used second hand are car seats and mattresses (buy a new mattress for a second hand cot/crib/moses basket).

Angelto5 Mon 04-May-15 19:10:55

Maybe your Bil is confusing it with the old superstition of having the pram in your house till after the baby is born?

birdbrain21 Mon 04-May-15 20:03:23

SurlyCue I have used my imagination that's why it freaks me out! I'm not superstitious generally but wouldn't buy a cot that was second hand but never used

SurlyCue Mon 04-May-15 20:12:17

So a baby dying freaks you out? hmm babies do not possess bad luck you know! A baby dying is a heartbreaking thing to happen, for a parent to have to sell their baby's cot before they ever got to sleep in it is a really difficult thing to do, im sure it helps them to know theyre "freaking out" other people by doing so. hmm

ShelaghTurner Mon 04-May-15 20:16:58

On the other hand I bought a stupidly expensive cotbed and both dds did and still do co-sleep. It's 7 years old and not even used for one night.

NightsOfGethsemane Mon 04-May-15 20:17:34

And a cot sold before a baby has slept in it doesn't necessarily mean a baby has died FFS. Perhaps it was a cot bought by an enthusiastic grandma that was never used, perhaps the parents decided to co-sleep, perhaps parenst bought a cot bed and then moved house and realised it wouldn't fit. I know people who sold cots in all of these circumstances. There are probably loads of other possibilities too.

birdbrain21 Tue 05-May-15 12:10:10

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I have a very close friend whose baby died and yes she sold all the stuff she had bought. I don't mean babies bring bad luck, just for myself I would feel too sad and not freaked as in scary can't really explain it but I wouldn't want to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now